PDA

View Full Version : F.E.A.R. this (HA!)

Czechmate
08-02-2005, 12:19 PM
This just in...

~Czech

GAMERS PREPARE FOR THE FIRST TASTE OF F.E.A.R. ™
F.E.A.R. Single player demo announced

LOS ANGELES, CA - (August 2nd , 2005) – Vivendi Universal Games announced today that the single player demo for the eagerly anticipated, award winning PC title F.E.A.R. ™ (First Encounter Assault and Recon) will be released globally on “F.E.A.R. Friday,” August 5th, 2005.

Developed by Monolith Productions, F.E.A.R. is an intense first person close-quarters combat experience with rich atmosphere and an engaging, paranormal horror storyline. Already named ‘Best Action Game of E3 2005’ by the E3Critics, F.E.A.R has been called ‘Vivendi’s classic-in-the-making’ and ‘the PC’s top shooter’ by PC Gamer (September 2005).

The single player demo features one level, combining intense and exhilarating action and pulse-quickening paranormal chills, giving players a true taste of what F.E.A.R holds in store for them this fall.

The F.E.A.R. single player demo will be available starting at 10:00 a.m. (U.S. Pacific Time) on Friday, August 5th. To download the demo or for more information on F.E.A.R including system requirements, please visit www.whatisfear.com.

F.E.A.R. will be available during fall 2005 for the PC with an ESRB “Mature” rating.

FADES
08-02-2005, 12:31 PM
That looks tight! I will definitely be d/ling this demo! I will also definitely be unloading every gun on that freakish looking little girl! Could this possibly scare me more than Doom 3?

Penguin
08-02-2005, 01:52 PM
Supposedly this game has a chance of heading WT, forgot where I read that, I think it was CPL forums.

Czechmate
08-02-2005, 02:58 PM
I'm probably stupid, but what does "heading WT" mean?

~Czech

Hexum
08-02-2005, 03:37 PM
World Tour, I think...

FADES
08-02-2005, 04:50 PM
And that would mean?

shanKs
08-02-2005, 04:53 PM
I don't know too much about it...but here goes.

Information is listed here: http://www.cplworldtour.com/

and they pick one game per year on the tour. People on the tour compete each month up to the finals where the big money is distributed. This year's game is Painkiller. I watched some of the competition at CPL on this game and I wasn't really impressed by it.

Sasha
08-02-2005, 05:21 PM
I saw Painkiller at the last CPL and didn't understand the draw of it and like Shanks wasn't impressed at all.

Penguin
08-02-2005, 05:39 PM
Yes, WT = World Tour, I know for sure after this year PK is over and they're looking for a new 1v1 game and they dont want doom or quake games due to the bad relations between CPL and ID. But uhhh..thats just what I heard! Anyways, going to get the game more than likley after looking at screenies. Wont make up my mind until I play the demo ;)

Czechmate
08-02-2005, 06:12 PM
It's not that there is bad blood between CPL and id Software. Rather, it's that CPL directly competes with QuakeCon. Certain things (everything Activision publishes essentially) will only be at QuakeCon because they are id's publisher. Those "certain things" this year include Quake 4 and COD2. Obviously, if these were at CPL, it'd be a major conflict of interest.

~Czech

BuddhaMan
08-02-2005, 10:27 PM
I tried this game at CPL and I thought it stunk. I might have been on a fucked up machine, but it felt like I was moving in molasses.

Maybe there was a reason why they (F.E.A.R.) had that big booth right by the door when you came in or left. Max exposure maybe?

Sasha: Painkiller is (was) a fast-paced single player game. Personally, I liked watching the better players play as it reminded my of Quake 3 and the like. One of the probles with Painliller is there were only 4 DM maps. Now that's the definition of fkn boring!

Czechmate
08-03-2005, 08:54 AM
I know that you can switch between walking and running, Buddha, and something tells me you were stuck walking without knowing it (and without knowing what key to press to toggle it). When I played it, the game seemed paced like a normal FPS. It wasn't super-fast like UT, but it was along the lines of COD or SOF.

~Czech

RuKuS
08-04-2005, 02:39 AM
It doesn't take much to make a sufficient 1v1 game.

PK hit just that- sufficient. Evened playing fields to see who (1v1) is better, thats it.

But damn, nothing scares me more than the whole paranormal theme.. Zombies and Monsters whoopty doo, kids grow up on that shit nowadays. They know it's fake so it never hits. But hitting the kids with a theme like this- something that some people actually believe in; it may just be the first game to actually scare me. O_o

Cavi
08-04-2005, 06:31 PM
heheheh those of us who went to CPL already played it *snicker*

im even going to give the demo a shot.

RuKuS
08-04-2005, 09:21 PM
The next WT 1v1 game to come out is the next game I'm going to focus solely on. I think my team game stint will take to the side once its released.

Cavi
08-05-2005, 11:55 AM
DAAAAMN

Have you seen the system requirements for this thing?! Holy shit duders, It may just be the first game to put my computer through its paces.

BuddhaMan
08-05-2005, 12:22 PM
link me hewhoisnamedafterhiscar

gang-green
08-05-2005, 03:03 PM
I just finished playing the demo kinda short but worth th d/l. There is a little girl in this that freaks me the fuck out,will not be playing it alone in the dark me=pussy!!

Czechmate
08-05-2005, 04:38 PM
It's here, but it was downloading slow as hell. At 662MB, you may want to wait a day or two.

http://www.sierra.com/downloadfile.do?gamePlatformId=1833&mediaid=15208

~Czech

UPDATE: File Shack (www.fileshack.com) is having a "first week of August" special. You can get a month of service (high speed, no line downloads) for $1. They'll take credit cards or PayPal, so if you have a spare buck in your PayPal account, put it to good use. :) It's downloading right now at 350KB/sec.

BuddhaMan
08-05-2005, 05:12 PM
I'm still using Gang's login for fileshack and it goes faaaaassst! (At least the last time I tried it.)

Edit: must not have been Fileshack or the browser cookie is gone now. :\

FADES
08-05-2005, 07:25 PM
I d/led the demo and it won't do fucking shit! Every time I go to open the compressed folder it just locks up and won't respond. I hope I don't have to go and d/l the fucker again! I'm pissed btw.

Hexum
08-05-2005, 07:36 PM
I had to get it a few times, mine did the same thing. Good demo, but way too short.

FADES
08-05-2005, 07:38 PM
Yeah, well, I guess patience is a virtue. It is now installing.:rolleyes:

Cavi
08-05-2005, 07:49 PM
i thoroughly enjoyed the demo...

... and the way everything goes... every demo could be longer, especially if you like the game lol

Hexum
08-05-2005, 09:14 PM
True, but compared to most demos I have tried it was alot shorter than most.

Cavi
08-06-2005, 08:58 AM
but did it not make you wan tto buy the game after?

... and i played it at 2am in a dark room... it freaked me the fuck out.

Sui
08-06-2005, 12:46 PM
but did it not make you wan tto buy the game after?

... and i played it at 2am in a dark room... it freaked me the fuck out.

haha, yeah, I played in a well lit room and it was still a bit scary.

FADES
08-08-2005, 04:07 PM
Did it stop at the bottom of the stairs where you couldn't get through the doors due to them being blocked for everyone else? Or did I miss something? If that is where it stopped, then it IS way too short! Did you ever try to shoot at the little girl? I noticed that my shots all looked slow motion when I did, kinda like they were when the bigger, more armored dude came busting through that door.

Sui
08-08-2005, 04:27 PM
Yeah, you missed quite a bit actually....I wont spoil anything so try it again, maybe you missed something.

FADES
08-10-2005, 08:34 AM
Well damn! I will have to try again. At least we were able to save.