Thread: Swastikas found in M$ font

Swastikas found in M$ font

I actually learned from this article that the swastika is/was a Buddhist religious symbol representing Buddha's feet or footsteps.

http://www.cnn.com/2003/TECH/biztech...eut/index.html

This is a retorical question kinda, but if I became a dictator and took the symbol for 'pi' as the moniker for my rule and then proceeded to kill every Canadian I could lay my hands on, would we need to remove the pi symbol from everything just because I bastardized and tainted it's meaning?

Maybe it's all relative...when a person in China sees a swastika they think "Buddha's footsteps" but when we see one it represents Nazis. If that holds true then after I kill these Canadian folk, the pi symbol in Toronto will represent my killing of their innocent neighbors yet to someone in Japan the pi symbol means 3.14159~

Discuss.
    BuddhaMan -- Showin' the ladies his "O" face since 1986

i think if your symbol (whatever it may represent) would be seen as a moniker of hate, distain and death. therefore your symbol would be seen in the same light as the swastika and rightfully so. its not just killing that the swastika represented, it was the mass widespread extermination of an entire race of people! its not like we are talking a few hundred people here! i think the swastika should be comdemned and any symbol that represents something as the third reich was.

ps-i didnt read the link so im merely replying to your comments on the symbol itself and could care less if its found in a font on a computer.

Yea I saw swasticas all over dhali lama statues and in paintings and I was like wtf but that symbol has been used in many different ways over time. It will probably always have a negative connotation after WW2 though.

Here are some photos I took in Vietnam. This is a famous temple not so much for its religous or imperial roots, but it was the temple just down the street from Kim Phuks home. She was the little nude girl in that famous photo of that village being napalmd (i posted a photo of it somewhere). Anyway, this is where she was running from. They went to this temple during bombing raids, but because the bombs were so close, everyone scattered. The rest is history as they say.

I was indeed quite suprised to see the symbols on the tower in front.
    Attached Images Attached Images

"(God) is constantly searching our hearts and minds. He's kind of like Santa Claus" - George W. Bush C.I.C.

Attached Images Attached Images

"(God) is constantly searching our hearts and minds. He's kind of like Santa Claus" - George W. Bush C.I.C.

Vlads Little Eskimo
    Swastika was 'highjacked' by Hitler and was used to Represent the Nazi. Which in turn gave they symbol a bad name.
    It is usually thought to be a charm, talisman, or religious token, esp. a sign of good luck or benediction. So i've heard
    PR - Phantom Regiment

theres also a small town in eastern ontario, near the quebec border called swastika, obviously named that before hitler used it.

Rugby is life