Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Thread: Gigabit switch suggestions

Useless eff

Gigabit switch suggestions

Ok, I would like to up my transfer speeds, but want to keep my Linksys WRT54GL router because it is so rock solid. Unfortunately it can only do 10/100. I would like to have have the 1000 for my comptuer and the NAS mainly, but could use this for two other computers I have which are all 1000 capable. Keep in mind, I want to access my NAS from outside. I have DNS setup, but having some troubles at the moment accessing my NAS via internet, but that's for another time to resolve.

So, I've done some research, and probably only need no more than 8 ports. I have some reservations on getting a used one as I'm afraid it is only a few months from burning out.

Do you have any suggestions? Looks like the D-Link 8 port on newegg is the way to go.

Re: Gigabit switch suggestions

I own the D-Link DGS-2208 and it's been great. Not real sure if I'm getting the full 1Gb out of it as there are a lot of factors involved in that on each client (jumbo frames, etc). 82% of 611 reviews give it 5 stars on Newegg (I read a few of the reviews and some of the comments were just plain dumb...WTF does a switch have to do with RAID on a server?)

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Produc...82E16833127082

Re-post once you get a new switch in place. I can help you get the firewall configured. I too have the WRT-54GL, but I'm running DD-WRT and you were running Tomato, but that shouldn't stop you from forwarding ports.
    BuddhaMan -- Showin' the ladies his "O" face since 1986

Useless eff

Yep, that's exactly the one I have (had) in my cart. Hopefully I will get delivery before next weekend. Then, I'd welcome your help with the firewall and port forwarding.

Useless eff

Here's a link for the ports that my NAS uses.

http://www.synology.com/support/faq_...d=299&lang=enu

So what's the problem then? What service on the NAS are you trying to use outside your firewall?

Useless eff

I'm not sure what the problem is other than I don't have time to figure it out, and I don't have a way to easily check it from a remote source. I got no friends. lol

Useless eff

Got my gigabit switch yesterday. Opened it up today. Looks nice. I will set it up this weekend. I gotta get a multi-outlet thingy. I'm out of ups outlets now.

I had the WRT54GL as well, but it fell off my desk and never worked again. Went out and got the E2000 from Cisco (Linksys) and I am in love with this thing.

It is 10/100/1000, selected 2.4 or 5 ghz bands, is quick as hell and easy to set up.

If your router goes I would HIGHLY recommend this unit.
    Brian K. Errickson (aka Just) June, 12th 1975 - June, 12th 2003

You were my friend and the brother I never had. I love you man and I hope now all the pain has gone away. May god rest your soul.

"By these requirements, if someone digs up a 3-billion-year-old skeleton, we can toss Evolution from science class. So, if you don't want Evolution in science class, start digging!"

If you want to pay a little more $$ for a better router than the one Palli posted, this one is the current king:

http://www.smallnetbuilder.com/wirel...r3700-reviewed

Filter by score and read more reviews: http://www.smallnetbuilder.com/index...ess&Itemid=200

good find Buddha...my sis gave me a gift cert from Newegg and I have been wondering what I wanted to spend it on. My wireless router is horid...I am lucky to get 3 MBps out of it. I use my laptop to d.l mkv's and I then transfer them to my HTPC in the other room and it takes way too long for my liking. It'll also be nice to have a gigabit link from my laptop to my other machine.

"(God) is constantly searching our hearts and minds. He's kind of like Santa Claus" - George W. Bush C.I.C.

I didn't read about the router I linked to, but it supposedly has two radios in it so it can do 2.4GHz and 5GHz (G and N) at the same time. Routers like the Cisco E2000 supposedly have only one radio that can do one or the other, so the router can't do both G and N wireless at the same time.

Like I said, I didn't read either review or specs (I'm not in the market for a router myself) so the above could be wrong.

On a side note, I had to buy Powerline networking gear because there are so many wireless networks in this apartment complex everyone is getting jammed. Going to an N network would have helped, but my Roku is G only (I think) and I'm tired of moving channels on the G spectrum.

EDIT: I was right, the Cisco has only one radio and you have to pick either/or. The Netgear has two radios and can do both G and N at the same time.

oooo...I was going to ask if anyone had a powerline network because I was considering going that route instead of a new wireless router. I found mixed reviews about their performance however so I decided to forgoe that route for now. But, I may still consider it if you can shed some light for me on how it has worked for you. What one do you have and what sort of speeds are you getting out of it? One thing people preached about a lot was where the thing is actually plugged in. Do you have yours going straight into a wall socket? Have you tried it on a power strip? Seems even the manu's don't recommend a power strip. I have some spare sockets close enough to my equipment where I probablly wouldn't need a strip, but I am just curious if you have tried it and what you think.

I am also considering going with MoCa (coax ethernet) but the only unit like this they have on Newegg is a bit pricey (179, normally 219). http://www.newegg.com/Product/Produc...82E16833122243

The only problem I have going with either of these specs is that regardless, I am still going to have to get a new router with gigabit ports to handle the increased speeds going to my laptop and other computer in my office...they are currently sitting on only 10/100 ports...so cost is starting to get a bit prohibitive. I'm also going to need a gigabit switch in the living room so I can hook up both my ps3 and htpc at max speeds. I just have a asus repeater in there now feeding off of my dlink wireless, and that too is only 10/100 on the LAN ports. So, if I go with the wireless, I only need to buy the single unit...but I gamble on what kind of speeds I might get taking into consideration how my client nics are able to handle the load. On the other hand, if I go powerline or moca, I get more reliable throughput (presumably), but it will cost a lot more. Decisions decisions!!

Let me know what your thoughts are.

"(God) is constantly searching our hearts and minds. He's kind of like Santa Claus" - George W. Bush C.I.C.

I linked to the one I have in my post. I tried to be more subtle with the link and I guess that was a failure since it's not obvious.

I have the "receive end" plugged in the wall socket and the "router end" plugged into a powerstrip. I'm going to get off my as ass today and do some testing. I was going to use Jperf, until I read this article:

http://www.smallnetbuilder.com/lanwa...-network-speed

Sounds like you're about to buy too much equipment. I wouldn't buy a new router just because you use the ports on it like a switch. Get a "real" gigabit switch instead (see above ). Also, the Powerline setup I bought has 4 ports on the "receive end" so I can plug in my PS3 and Roku and have 2 ports for expansion. If I fill those, I'll get another switch for expansion.

Less subtle link to my LINKSYS PLK300 Powerline AV Network Kit:

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Produc...82E16833124306

Useless eff

I got the gigabit switch in operation. I had about 35MB/s transfer the DS209 NAS and my computer. Smallnet builder achieved 40MB/s with the DS209. So, I'm not too far off from that with just plug and go, and no tweeking. And that was with a CAT6 to the NAS, and a CAT 5e from the computer.

Now, back to getting/troubleshooting the access of the NAS via internet.

I just finished doing some quickie testing of my Powerline networking gear, and it underwhelmed me.

In my original config of the router end in the computer room and the receiver end connected to my TV gear in the living room, I got ~10Mbit using Jperf.

I plugged both pieces of gear into an unused outlet and my two netbooks into another outlet. I re-jiggered the network settings to static addys and then used Jperf to get a ~20Mbit max and settled down to ~15Mbit.

(Note: according to the website I linked to above, JPerf actually over-estimates the bandwidth available so those numbers actually look better than "real world")

10Mbit is plenty right now to do PS3 firmware updates and stream IPTV and Netflix on my Roku. I was getting interruptions ALL the time when I was trying to stream to the Roku over wireless. Using this gear has almost eliminated it and I assume any interruptions now are external to the apartment (ISP or further down the line).

Definitely 10x less than advertised, so I'd go with the wireless since you can (supposedly) get up to 300Mbit using the N frequency band. YMMV! Read the reviews on the smallnetbuilder.com site for the lowdown on real (usable) bandwidth on products using various setups, distances, etc.