PDA

View Full Version : hiya guys

Abyss2k
12-20-2002, 12:23 PM
hi evryone most of you remember me when i was in CS long time ago, anyway lets get to the fact, i made a map for ut2003 and i would like some peoples to test it and have some feedback, just pm me and ill give you a link to download it. This is my second map, first one was Orion Station BETA you can get it on http://www.pcgamemods.com/ and http://www.ut2003hq.com/ it might be on other web sites...

btw is soma still part of this world ?

screens below

http://www.action4life.com/Abyss/CTF-Apophis/Preview1.jpg

http://www.action4life.com/Abyss/CTF-Apophis/Preview2.jpg

http://www.action4life.com/Abyss/CTF-Apophis/Preview3.jpg

Ravage[CS]
12-20-2002, 12:40 PM
sup abyss. i think you were prolly before or after my time back in the old CS days, but regardless welcome back! (yes i know you're just dropping in ;))

I'd be happy to playtest for ya, is it a DM map, CTF, BR? screenies look nice, you may have to share some of your techniques on lighting with me, it's the one thing in UEd that i absolutely CANNOT get. Geometry I get, I can make decent levels but without good lighting they always end up washed out, too dark, or just generally like shit :cool:

PM me a link and ill give it a looksee :)

Abyss2k
12-20-2002, 12:49 PM
i think you were there when i was in CS, anyway if you need help with lighting i can prolly help you on that and the map is CTF.

i sent you a pm with the d/l link, you can view my first map here http://www.pcgamemods.com/file.php?id=5c04925674920eb58467fb52ce4ef728
still in beta ill prolly finish it as soon as i release this one.

thanks and merry chrsitmas to all

Mozartt
12-20-2002, 12:59 PM
Hi Abyss, damn it's been a while. Sorry but Noma has not been around since we got the clan back together, we have tried to contact him and Sean but no luck.

Let's us know if you need map testing, I don't run our CS server but always looking for new maps. Those screens look really nice.

Abyss2k
12-20-2002, 01:25 PM
hiya Mozartt yeah its been a while, btw my roommate would like to join a clan is there any opening ?

i sent you a pm with the link to test the map.

TinMan[CS]
12-20-2002, 01:47 PM
Whoa! the Alumni just keep rolling in!! Nice to see you Abyss!! That map looks like it rocks! We'll work on setting it up on the team server and give it some testing. CS is currently recruiting. Have your roommate post here so we know who he is and we can get to know him.

Again, Good to see you!!

TinMan > http://home.nc.rr.com/martinhome/palesig.jpg

Ravage[CS]
12-20-2002, 01:58 PM
"tinman is greater than 4thHorseman"? Isn't that a little... well, I don't know. It's self-praise and self-degredation all at the same time

/me wanders off muttering theses to himself pondering the meaning of life

edit: hey, what the hell happened to the /me functionality?

Abyss2k
12-20-2002, 01:58 PM
TinMan check your PM, if you want to test it on a server with the team go for it and like i said to you in your pm i expect to see some good feedback not only "its good" or "its cool".

i will tell my roommate to come on the board but hes not really good with english so this might be a problem.

Mozartt
12-20-2002, 02:00 PM
Originally posted by Abyss2k
hes not really good with english so this might be a problem.

So.....we still have Bernie and he's got the same problem!!! :0wn3d:

Abyss2k
12-20-2002, 02:04 PM
hey Mozz contact me on icq for the map and for my roommate, i want to learn more about how you deal with matches and mods you guys play, he might want to practice with you guys first... 73225561

Ravage[CS]
12-20-2002, 04:59 PM
incoming feedback... :)

first of all, you gotz mad mapping skillz, it's nice to see someone putting out maps higher than the caliber (read: really shitty) than most peeps in the community. :D I like the effect you made with the rings around the planet, good use of moving textures, and the asteroids are pimp... i definitely need to take a bunch of pages from your book in this stuff. now on to the map stuff

I think the bot AI needs a little work, when i played a bot match most of the enemy team (was playing 5v5) were all camping the flag, not sure if you just laced the flag area with nodes or if they just happened to act retarded. Plus they were always crouching and walking around there, and sometimes would stop and face BACKWARDS against the wall as if they were camping there.... and closely examining the bricks ;) Also, I was covering one of my bots when he had the flag and he actually hit the jumppad on OUR side to get launched into the sniper room... maybe lessen the priority they have of using it? Most of the time i saw the other team going up to that room they would land and then immediately go back out and fall to the bottom as if they suddenly decided there was something more important they wanted to do on the ground. ;)

enough about pathnodes. the texturing and lighting are all hella sweet throughout the map, altho one suggestion i might have on lights is this... when you come back up from the statue room, you're facing sideways in the center room and don't know which way you want to go without a quick look back and forth to check the torches near the doorway. If you could throw small torches, or some other form of color distinction, on either side of the torch immediately across from you when you warp out i think that would help navigation a lot.

Also, I like the side paths you have cutting out from the lower hallways but those doors are NARROW. they really seem to just be "off" considering the berth the player is given in all other parts of the level. If you could widen those doors up, I think that would help keep the consistency throughout. I know they're meant to look like the windows, but i think in this case the car slogan "wider is better" holds true.

Oh, and speaking of those windows... I also noticed one of my team members (back to pathnodes again) get stuck crouching in one of the windows and wasn't even firing at an enemy walking down the hall towards him. a node may be a little to close to the windows which could be causing that problem, just something to check out.

anyway i think that's it... i played a round in insta and a round in RW, flow is great in insta and the weapon/item placement is good in RW as well.... I had a blast nuking the crap out of the entire enemy flag area with the ion cannon :D :D :D

All suggestions, take them or leave them, but overall congrats on a job very well done! Methinks it may even be cliffyB 0wnage material if you cared to submit it. :cool: good work man

Abyss2k
12-20-2002, 05:39 PM
AI is a bit dumb sometimes there is not much i can do about that, i tried a couples of settings with the bots but they act on their own really, with the new patch they are bit less dumb tho, for the planet well thats a skybox from epic dm map so no credits for me on that one hehe

for the statue room when you come back there is torch`s in that room on both side with the red/blue color you might not have noticed ?

for the doors i dont know if you mean doors or the window you got me a bit confusing but doors are good enough for the player size, too big would look a bit dumb imo.

thanks for the feedback Ravage i appreciate, nothing major so far so map will stay like this untill i get other feedback.

Abyss2k
12-20-2002, 07:00 PM
hey Mozzart and Ravage i didnt get your last PM box was full, try again its empty now :)

Ravage[CS]
12-20-2002, 11:51 PM
dont worry, i was just pm'ing you to tell you i replied in here :)

i did notice that there are torches above the doorways to the halls, but you'll notice i mentioned above that i saw them. However, I run in 1024x768 and even then the width of my POV doesn't encompass those torches when i come out of the teleporter... I only see the neutral torch straight ahead. So, in order to get my bearings I needed to look both ways, like when you're going to cross the street or pull out into traffic, in order to look for the torches and find out where the hell I was. Like I said, it's not a big deal but i thought adding some sort of color indicators on either side of the neutral torch would be helpful.

and i did mean the door in the lower hallway, not the windows... I agree it's fine for putting a player though it, but i personally felt that it was a little too narrow compared to the aesthetics of the rest of the level. again, it wasn't a major thing but was just something i noticed.

if you don't change a thing, i still think the map's pretty pimp. we've got it running on the CS server right now so our boys can check it out too :cool:

Abyss2k
12-21-2002, 12:16 AM
if i would listen to evryone suggestions the map would be pink and black elephants flying in the sky if you see what i mean lol
i try to change things that come over and over in the feedback cause peoples taste are really different from one peoples to another so i have to balance on this.

for the torch thing is it that you dont want to damage your mouse or something hehe <-- -->

Bernie[CS]
12-21-2002, 07:34 AM
Hi Abyss

Welcome back cool looking graphics on the map ......

Hey Moz.................Could you say... Dipshit......

Don't have to know much english to describe you..:laugh:

Arioch
12-21-2002, 07:50 AM
bernie, are you comin back soon to play ?

I dont think ive ever played along side you.

Bernie[CS]
12-21-2002, 10:35 AM
Would love too. But right now I have PIII 600 MHz Dell P.O.S. that can't handle UT2003. Hopefully after the holidays I'll hook up with Tinman and he we will smack me together one kick ass machine.Then I'll be putting bitch stickers on your on backs. Ask Moz about the HSA days with Connie and Exterminator.

Mozartt
12-21-2002, 04:46 PM
Back in the good old days when Bernie rule all the bots on HSA!!!!

Bernie[CS]
12-21-2002, 05:20 PM
One of those bots was Mozartt . What did you call yourself before CS... I think it was Bernie's Bitch

Arioch
12-22-2002, 02:19 AM
yeah sure bernie.;)

Mozartt
12-22-2002, 10:45 AM
I really hate when Bernie drinks this time of year, he always seems to forget a lot of the old matches. http://64.207.13.28/mysmilies/contrib/blackeye/AR15firing.gif