PDA

View Full Version : lol and not lol at the same time....

Wretched
12-31-2002, 03:40 PM
Former Bills star openly discusses battle with alcohol

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
ESPN.com news services

EL PASO, Texas -- Thurman Thomas, ninth on the career NFL rushing list, admitted Monday that he is a recovering alcoholic and recently spent 28 days at a rehabilitation clinic.

"I knew my life was headed in the wrong direction," the former Buffalo Bills running back said during a luncheon honoring him as the 2002 Legend of the Sun Bowl. "I went through a phase where I was really drinking a lot. It's something that's been bugging me, but I never thought I'd talk about it like this."

As Thomas was directing his comments toward the college players from Purdue and Washington, who meet in the Wells Fargo Sun Bowl today, his wife Patti cried in the front row.

"It's something I'm not proud I did -- that I took that course and went that direction," Thomas said. "But after finishing the treatment program, I've felt a lot better."

Thomas is being honored for his role in the 1987 Sun Bowl. He ran for 157 yards and four touchdowns as Oklahoma State beat West Virginia 35-33. His backup in the game was Barry Sanders.

Thomas, 36, retired two years ago after rushing for 12,074 yards for the Bills and playing in four Super Bowls.

Bernie Olivas, the executive director of the Sun Bowl, said bowl officials had a hard time getting Thomas to agree to be honored. Thomas admitted he's done little since leaving football, and that in part led to his alcohol problems.

"(Patti) said he had locked himself in a room, because he was so depressed," Olivas said. "We almost didn't get him."

After disclosing his problems adjusting to life after football, Thomas was given a standing ovation

He was a damn fine RB back in the day in my opinion....Wasnt anyone I would have rather had other than emmitt or barry back in the day...

But no wonder he had an alcohol problem...I would too if my teams name stood for BILLS = BOY I LOVE LOSING SUPERBOWLS :laugh: