PDA

View Full Version : Linux, W2K, and NAT

Pallidrone
01-13-2003, 01:22 PM
I am running a network with a W2K gateway/file server. Unfortantly when I got my DSL connection I had recieved a Speedstream 3060 internal DSL modem, instead of the fancy external modems and have to live with the fact that a router wont work with the system that way.

Linux does not provide drivers for that card either, so I am stuck with W2K as my gateway to get on the internet and using connection sharing (NAT) for internet access for my other computers.

Here is my dilemna:

I can connect to the internet fine with the W2K system, and get on IRC, do file transfers ect. When I do the same with my Linux box (or the XP box on the other part of my network) I can view *some* websites, but yet I cant get onto IRC, I can download files sometimes, where other times it just fails, and sometimes I cant even post on BTP on the other computers. Now I tried opening up a lot of the ports through my connection on the W2K machine, but to no avail. I cant even send mail through my other computers, even they that default port is supposivly open on the gateway.

Any suggestions, or things I should be looking at??

BLiNk
01-13-2003, 01:57 PM
firewall?

GuTTer_RaT
01-13-2003, 02:01 PM
like we discussed on irc palli, i think windows internet connection sharing is horseshit. i suggest sygate home network. i pitched this idea to glad a long time ago and it werked great for him. i think this may be something that can help you. its worth a shot at least.

=DBA=Ronin
01-13-2003, 04:40 PM
uggggg....i had all sorts of issues with sygate. Granted it was a novel idea and is a good piece of software...but it gave me lots of problems. Particularily, it would keep dropping my connection, and when I would goto reset it, told me it couldnt do it. So i would have to close it out and restart it. This just got to be too much fucken around for me when my goal was to have a stable connection as I use my ftp from skewl a lot and depend on it for file transfers. Currently im using just the ics. I havent set up a nat yet, not sure if i want to get involved with any of that until i get a router. I have no experience with using linux(yet) so im not sure what i can help you with Palli, but im just giving you a little insight with my experience using sygate. I did also for a while use AnalogX's proxy, but again had problems from time to time. Im just gonna stick with my ICS for now till i can get things laid out better.

Vulpes
01-13-2003, 09:55 PM
buy an external modem, cheap and easy, ebay have em at the prices of one dvd, not that expensive.

BuddhaMan
01-13-2003, 10:22 PM
I think the Linksys external dsl modems are down to $50 at BestBuy. Probably cheaper online.

Then u could use linux as yer firewall/gateway/router/nat/etc

I use ClarkConnect: http://www.clarkconnect.org