PDA

View Full Version : what ya think..?

Stuffit
02-12-2004, 04:52 PM
about 2k4 people..? first impresions please.

Podosniper
02-12-2004, 05:25 PM
I really liked playing it... ONS is pretty good and I'm glad as is back and bette than ever. I Like the new shock rifle design. I like the raptor plane/heli and goliath tank quite a bit. The hell(binder?) is good, but you need at LEAST 2 people to be able to do anythign except run people over. The manta is ok, not great not bad. The scorpion, however, I don't like at all. The primary fire is difficult to use AND weak, the secondary isn't all that useful, very cool however, hehe. I really like the DM map in the demo. The ONS map, however, I hope is one of the worst ones because it's not that great. Can't wait for the full thing. SO what'd you think stuffit? You ask people and don't even give your opinion :P

=DBA=Up_Urs
02-12-2004, 05:58 PM
not bad, movement seems slow (on foot) in ONS; but that may be the hugh landscape.

Weapons on vehicles aren't powerful enough and vehicles tough to control (couldn't find a way to maybe with to game pad or joystick while in vehicle)

Though runnin people down if fuckin funny
"Vehicular Manslaughter"

LOL

Otherwise nice graphics and shit like u would expect after UT2K3

MalorieKnoX
02-12-2004, 06:03 PM
I think there is a lot to get used to as far as vehicles go. I know they spent a lot of time balancing them so I don't think the weapons are weak, just misunderstood at the present time. I also believe it's very hard to tell how well the game 'runs' right now since there is no instagib mutator atm and we are playing (at least I am) on very high latency servers.

I still cant seem to boost-jump, I can wall-jump just fine though.

Overall I am pleased and looking forward to igbr and making ONS maps which I suspect will be a blast creating.

Podosniper
02-12-2004, 06:47 PM
Boost jump was a bug that was removed for 2k4 :\

Mini
02-12-2004, 07:06 PM
i really do miss the time when you were buying a computer and were able to play new game with it for more then 6 months !!!!

i know its a beta but still graphics are horrible and i have a athlon xp 2500+ fsb 400, 512 megs of ddr3200(400mhz) dual channel
and gf4 ti 4200 8x 128 megs FOR FUCK SAKE !!! bought in august
only 6 months old .....

anyway looks like i'm gonna have to buy some new gear if i want to come back in the action and enjoy the game a bit

i loved onslaught ...awesome game type so many strategy possible :) not just a linear map with a goal at each end !!! gonna be weird to play this game with instagib though
hope someone will make a mod where your insta weapon shoot like the link gun as a secondary fire cause switching weapon all the time will be a pain in the ass imho.

Mini.

Vyper
02-12-2004, 08:08 PM
I have to wonder why your having problems Mini. I have almost the same setup you do and it plays fine for me.

I do have a GeForce 5200, 128mbs but other than that its nearly the same. Athlon 2400+, 400 fsb but I've only got 266mhz ram in it right now and only 768 mbs of that. You shouldn't be having the issues you are unless its the vid card for some reason. Do you have the latest Nvidia drivers??

BuddhaMan
02-12-2004, 08:28 PM
If I remember right mini is still using Win98

Mini
02-12-2004, 08:45 PM
nah i switch to xp pro a couple of months ago ....
and yes i do have the latest driver for my vid card ....
oh and ..... LOL i forgot to change the setting !!!!
in the first setting i saw that the best option was normal and i didnt check the others yesterday night !!!!
now i put everything on high and highest and the game look great hehee damn frenchie ;)

guess i'll buy the game and will be back in the action
but please tell me you guys are planning to play onslaught mod :) i love it

Mini.

Crossbolt
02-12-2004, 08:51 PM
EEEWwww, Win98? :eek:

Anyways, I thought it was pretty good. About the only time I had trouble with framerate was on a 16 player ons server with almost everybody fighting for one node. (Ath 2600, R9700, 512 PC320) The weapons feel about the same as in 2k3. The vehicles felt much more intiutive to me than those in BF for example. And yes, Onslaught fucking rocks!

I'm pissed about the boost jump thing though. Trick jumps where one of the best things about 2k3; they seperated it from the rest of the online fps herd, and keep even the dev team maps interesting over a year since I started playing.

crom
02-13-2004, 12:21 AM
Roger that Cross about the trick jumps. Cross and I are OLD SKOOL! I remember bunny hopping my way around Azbok's server getting pwned left and right. Until that fateful day that Xecutioner asked me, bolt, and Predator (aka Charon) into SJ. Now playing some of the same maps over a year later it's still fun because of learning new jumps. :)

I really like Onslaught too. It's basically BF but you have to time your attacks and coordinate your assaults. I can't wait to play this with an organized team instead of the random fragging that goes on in the servers right now.

I hope they tweak the vehicles a bit, they are really fragile.

The demo BR map was most lame, and it did run a bit choppy on my box (A2100, R9800XT, 1Gig2100) but I know I'm CPU bottlenecking, but that will change in a month or so when I upgrade to 64 bit.

The assault map they included was pretty crappy too. I want to play the outerspace version!

Now I just need to see what IG is like in it, and if they tweak the jumping, and maybe I'll end up most happy. Until then I'll still ladder in 2k3 (when 2k4 comes out) on the various IG ladders, and work my way into reg weapons onslaught.

Ok bedtime for me. Peace out!

-C

SealClubber
02-13-2004, 02:11 PM
Originally posted by crom

The assault map they included was pretty crappy too. I want to play the outerspace version!

are you nuts!? The assault map is great! Get ahold of that minigun turret and mow people down! The weapons are more powerful now, where unlike in UT2003 it took u forever to get a damn kill! Every weapon in UT2004 seems useful! Especially the link gun with its healing capabilities to turrets and vehicles!

Onslaught is laggy with over 25 ppl or so.. stick with player numbers of 16 and under for that gametype.

CTF map is good, nice and ope spaced for the most part

The DM map is ownage, thats the thing from the demo that blew me away the most! You can see where they put those little sheet ramps so where u dodge into them you can reach the next level of the map! That one's gonna be great for IG games!

BR map is kinda big, but I guess it will do.

I was pretty damn impressed with this demo - but im still waiting till after the full game is released to make final judgment and see if im buying it.

Zero_G
02-14-2004, 01:07 PM
i played about 5 maps worth of the demo, all basically on the dm map, and i must say, there isnt much on it that really makes me want to play it alot. one thing in particular im not too happy about is that they made the weapons change significantly slower. In 2k3 weps change instantly, getting off shots from like 3 weps in 2 secs is a must! :P , although most ppl here are instagibbers so i guess thats only a problem i'll be having. :) i also noticed that people look noticably smaller on screen than in 2k4, harder to aim. But i think i will end up buying the game in the end.

MalorieKnoX
02-14-2004, 01:14 PM
The alt fire on the grenade launcher is sw33t!!! just figured it out along with the alt fire for the scorpion.

BuddhaMan
02-14-2004, 06:14 PM
I have to say i'me getting addicted to onslaught mode, but the same map over-and-over is getting tiresome.

Agreed on the "BF1942/DC" feel for the vehicles..i have no problems getting around on any of the vehicles...probably because I got used to the oversteer in BF1942.

I just figured out the alt0fire on the grenades too. Gotta practice3 that. I still need to learn howto use the spider mines or whater they are....haven't tried them much.

Framerate: (p4-3.0Ghz - 1 GB DDR Dual Channel - GF4-4600)

I'm at quite a high resolution (1280x1024) and alot of the "extra" stuff is on like shadows etc. Plays great! Gets kinda laggy in the canyon on the ONS map with a few vehicles in there at once...liotsa polygons to draw. I tried Assult once with like 24 players and it was laggy as hell..dunno if it was the server or too many player/too high a detail level.

I'm lookin' for y'all online whenever I play BTW! I'm using the team voice chat channel.

This is a no-brainer for all of us -- voice chat helps a ton in coordination on the ONS map. I was on a team and we were kickin the shit outta the other team. Great bvoice coordination. I thne switched to the other team to help try and even things up...and heard crickets. WTF! No wonder they wee loosing..and now I'm losing with them. I tried talking to my teamates, but only got a few responses TYPED back at me. <sigh>