View Full Version : I love my job.

Mr_Nobody
04-27-2004, 01:51 PM
My boss just let me know that I've been approved for a full-time telecommuting gig.

This summer, I'll be moving out of the Chicago area and into a small town in Wisconsin, where I'll finally be able to afford a decent house for my family. I'll be coming back to Chi-town every other month or so for a few days, but for the most part I'll be working from home.

It's a little weird to be leaving Chicago, having spent the last 25 years of my life based out of the area. But I'm really excited to get the chance to stop commuting to an office, and to spend more time at home with the people I care about.

Wish me luck!

Unforgiven
04-27-2004, 01:55 PM
wow this post is outta the ordinary compared to the many many people on here that hate their jobs! awesome job mr. nobody, good luck! i am able to telecommute only when im sick or when they need me in an emergency during vacation so i can completely understand the joy of telecommunting! you will enjoy it more than you can ever imagine!

FADES
04-27-2004, 03:29 PM
Nice! Good luck, Mr. Nobody! I hope that werks out for you as well as you want it to!

Sasha
04-27-2004, 03:47 PM
wow that is completely awsome! where about in Wisconsin are you thinking of moving to? Congrats to you, more time with the little one and there is nothing more important!

Pallidrone
04-27-2004, 04:27 PM
I have been meaning to write this and since I cant send a PM to Ratty, I will just post it public here.....

Ratty, I wanted to say thanks btw - I finally did land that programmers job at work.

It took a lot of work on them and convincing that I can do the job, and they finally caved in on one request. That I do the job for 3 months at my current salary and then go for a review after that. At that point I will move up in salary getting close to the range that I wanted.

Again, without your advice, I wouldnt be here and for the first time in a long time, I am happy to be at work.

Thanks bro

Mr_Nobody
04-27-2004, 06:04 PM
Originally posted by Sasha
wow that is completely awsome! where about in Wisconsin are you thinking of moving to? Congrats to you, more time with the little one and there is nothing more important!
Thanks! We're looking at homes near Appleton, which is where my wife's parents live. They dote on their grandson and would love to spend more time with him, which would be great for everyone concerned.

The fact that I find myself loving my job, and being fond of my in-laws, makes me wonder whether I've slipped into some freakish alternate reality. If so, there's no way I'm leaving it :D

And congrats, Palli! What type of programming will you be doing?

Pallidrone
04-27-2004, 06:10 PM
Mainly application programming in Foxpro. So far I have been enjoying every moment of it.

Vyper
04-27-2004, 06:11 PM
Congrats NB. Just remember to set aside one room specifically for work and nothing else! That way you can declare it on your taxes. Atleast I think you can. Check into buddy because I know with a home business done that way you can claim it. :D

Nice to know that you'll be able to afford a bigger place for your family.

Vyper
04-27-2004, 06:11 PM
Good Job Palli! I hope you enjoy it as much in 6 months as you do now. :)

Unforgiven
04-28-2004, 11:09 AM
Originally posted by Pallidrone
I have been meaning to write this and since I cant send a PM to Ratty, I will just post it public here.....

Ratty, I wanted to say thanks btw - I finally did land that programmers job at work.

It took a lot of work on them and convincing that I can do the job, and they finally caved in on one request. That I do the job for 3 months at my current salary and then go for a review after that. At that point I will move up in salary getting close to the range that I wanted.

Again, without your advice, I wouldnt be here and for the first time in a long time, I am happy to be at work.

Thanks bro

not to hijack mr. nobody's great news but i just caught this. awesome palli! im so happy for you man!!!! there is so much to learn but with the drive to succeed and better your job environment im sure you will hop any obstacle that gets in your way. im proud of you bro for sticking in there and really going to bat for yourself! your post just made my day man :) thanks for the kind words. the thing is i know you would give me the same advice as i gave you if the situation was reversed. im so happy bro, im grinning ear to ear!!! :)

Mr_Nobody
04-28-2004, 01:33 PM
I don't feel hijacked ... let's just make this the official "yay for work" thread :D

Pallidrone
04-28-2004, 04:14 PM
Yeah, I didnt mean to rain on Mr. Nobody's parade. It just seemed like the perfect place to put it at that time. :)

Sasha
04-28-2004, 04:15 PM
yay for Palli! This place needs more happy threads!

Taya
04-28-2004, 05:32 PM
congrats to both you guys! seems like everyones lives are lookin up, in the work place and elsewhere! ;)

i have a happy thread here, but everyone shit on it! :mad:

Unforgiven
04-28-2004, 05:33 PM
quit being bitter and let palli and mr. nobody have their spotlight! :mad:

Shogun
04-28-2004, 05:45 PM
yea!