PDA

View Full Version : researchers have recovered 70-million-year-old soft tissue!!

GRAAAAAA!!
03-28-2005, 12:01 PM
OMG this is so cool!! Real jurastic park here we come!! yay!!:D I hope this is not a hoax.

http://www.cnn.com/2005/TECH/science/03/24/rex.tissue.ap/

If scientists can isolate proteins from the material, they may be able to learn new details of how dinosaurs lived, said lead researcher Mary Higby Schweitzer of North Carolina State University.

"We're doing a lot of stuff in the lab right now that looks promising," she said in a telephone interview.

It was recovered dinosaur DNA -- the blueprint for life -- that was featured in the fictional recreation of the ancient animals in the book and film "Jurassic Park." Although that was science fiction, Schweitzer said she was not sure if scientists would be able to isolate dinosaur DNA fragments from the fossilized materials.

The soft tissues were recovered from the thighbone of a T. rex, known as MOR 1125, that was found in a sandstone formation in Montana. The dinosaur was about 18 years old when it died.

Artis
03-28-2005, 01:21 PM
18 yrs old? geez. i wonder what the average lifespan was for a t-rex.

also, you talked about investigating its 'thigh' and a lady whose name is 'Schweitzer'....THATS HAWT!!!!!

Beo
03-28-2005, 02:33 PM
I read about this the other day. Didn't the dinosaur femur break accidentally while they were lifting it out of the ground, exposing the tissue? Anyway, it's pretty cool.

GRAAAAAA!!
03-29-2005, 05:24 PM
Yeah.. I think its amazing that it was still there intact. It makes you think how long ago did it really die? Could it really have been there for 70 million years like all the scientist are saying?

krazymop
03-29-2005, 07:00 PM
I read about this the other day. Didn't the dinosaur femur break accidentally while they were lifting it out of the ground, exposing the tissue? Anyway, it's pretty cool.

from the article i read, they purposely broke the bone in order to make it fit into the helicopter that was transporting it.