PDA

View Full Version : In need of a painkiller?

Czechmate
05-18-2005, 06:14 PM
I've talked about this one for the past week or so. If you need a beautiful, mindless (think original Doom or either Serious Sam) game, go no further. This came out last year, and you can get it for $19.99 (or $29.99 including the original and the expansion).

The level design, for the most part, is fantastic. There are some tricky areas (like an ice covered bridge), but for the most part, the game just tests how much shit it can throw at you. Your weapons are a particular pleasure. There are a few usual suspects, but things like the Painkiller itself, a stake gun, and so gun keep it fresh. And, of course, the Havok physics engine makes everyone (and everything) bounce around in an almost comic manner.

While there are a few scares in the game, it's almost all delivered tongue-in-cheek. They know it's way over-the-top, and they don't care. I think that's what makes for a lot of the fun.

The pics, of course, speak for themselves.

~Czech

=DBA=Ronin
05-18-2005, 07:21 PM
wow...that looks nice.

Serious Sam was a blast!!

StAnkY
05-18-2005, 07:37 PM
and here i thought you were talking about drugs :(

Czechmate
05-18-2005, 07:37 PM
Painkiller is damn fun, at least in doses. There's only so much mindless crap you can take, but this one delivers the goods. Look at any review of the game. It was in a few "Top Ten of 2004" lists, and well, for $20, you can't do much better. (So you know, Serious Sam 2, the cover story on the mag I write for, will no longer be $20, at least at first.)

~Czech

Ps -- Ya, I need another "ch3@p druug$ h3er!" email, much less a post. :P

BuddhaMan
05-19-2005, 06:35 PM
Unless you hook us up with a copy at CPL...*hint* *hint*. :D

Czechmate
05-20-2005, 11:25 AM
As if Croteam is going to CPL. I don't think Roman (the lead guy at Croteam) is flying to Dallas any time soon. :)

~Czech

Czechmate
05-20-2005, 03:00 PM
A few more pics. I had to compress these heavily to make them fit here, so just know that it looks a lot better in person.

~Czech

BuddhaMan
05-20-2005, 08:32 PM
Don't you have a webhost? Just upload and link and then they'll be a better quality (when they're compressed less).

Czechmate
05-21-2005, 10:57 AM
I own the w4rishell.com website and run a ventrilo server so ya, I have a host. I just didn't want to bother FTPing the pics, because they're just pics. I just thought they looked nice. :)

~Czech

Czechmate
05-21-2005, 11:39 AM
If you're interested, here are all the pics I've taken so far. Some of them are shit, but I didn't pick through them.

~Czech

www.w4rishell.com/images/pk-shots.rar (around 11MB)

Penguin
05-23-2005, 10:54 PM
i have it, its pretty fun game