PDA

View Full Version : OpenSource fun

Czechmate
05-26-2005, 08:31 PM
I'm sure most of you know better by now to not use IE as your default explorer. The latest version of Firefox is very good (www.firefox.com) and from there, you can also get the email client Thunderbird, which will import everything from Outlook or Outlook Express. (I don't know about other email programs.) Thunderbird also has a trainable spam filter built-in (hoorah!) and for whatever reason, it just seems faster.

Just thought I'd pass along the news. These are both free, opensource programs, and both are more secure than Microsoft's stuff. That is, of course, until they become bigger than the Microsoft programs, at which point the spam assholes will target whoever leads the market. (MS is about 95% of both the email and browser markets.)

~Czech

BuddhaMan
05-26-2005, 10:31 PM
Firefox's adblock addon r0x too!

Turd Furgeson
05-28-2005, 02:25 AM
I've been using firefox for a while now. Great program, but occasionally you'll run in to a page that isn't compatible =\ It's a shame

BuddhaMan
05-28-2005, 07:11 PM
I'm beta testing the new FF 1.1a as it has SVG support included and that r0x just by itself. I hope IE7 has SVG support built in finally...

Sasha
05-28-2005, 07:34 PM
Is it better than Avant? because that is what I am currently using.

BuddhaMan
05-28-2005, 08:00 PM
I never liked Avant, so of couse I'm going to say 'yes'!

Sorrry, I can't be objective in this case... :D

Sasha
05-29-2005, 10:54 AM
I am gonna try it out to see how I like it. So far theres alot you gota do with it.. I like simplicity LOL.

Ok so I added an icon for my email to the tool bar, but how do I change it to take me to yahoo instead of Outlook which it's currently doing?

BuddhaMan
05-29-2005, 03:06 PM
Hmm...I don't know what you mean. Did you add a link to the bar? You can do that too.

I'll tell ya how to do that since I don't knwo what you're talking about.

Goto http://mail.yahoo.com

When you get there, grab the icon to the left of the URL in the address bar and drag it down to the grey area just above the web pages.

Another quick tip is you can setup you middle button to open links in a new tab which is way cool and fks me up when I goto work and can't do it.

Sasha
05-29-2005, 06:04 PM
Trying it out.. feels weird tho :P