PDA

View Full Version : War Of The Worlds

Penguin
06-30-2005, 12:17 PM
Well last night I went out with some people and we decided to see the movie, I would have to admit not reading the books and knowing nothing about the movie besides the fact that aliens come to earth and basiclly destroy shit it was a good movie, a buddy of mine said the book was better in his opinion and explained more than the movie did. Has anyone else seen the movie and what'd you think of it?

Sasha
06-30-2005, 01:00 PM
I haven't seen it yet, but it looked good. 240 mil to make a film so it better be decent I suppose.

Turd Furgeson
06-30-2005, 02:55 PM
Little bit of backstory for you about this..

It was originally a radio broadcast. It was broadcast as a real news report. Thousands of people thought it was real and ended up committing suicide in various ways.

Sasha
06-30-2005, 04:17 PM
Can you imagine? I cannot even fathom the amount of panic that caused, I wish I would of been able to see that for myself.. when did that happen? In the 30's? or is my time frame way off.

Bluehen
06-30-2005, 04:32 PM
Yeah, good memory. Was in '38.

BuddhaMan
06-30-2005, 05:02 PM
No one commited suicide according to the Discovery special that was on this week.

Regulator
07-01-2005, 02:03 PM
rofl it wasnt broadcasted as a news report either.

back then everybody crowded around the radio (because of no tv) and the guy was reading the book. some people thought it was a news broadcast when tuning in without knowing it was story time.

Hexum
07-01-2005, 02:12 PM
Also, they did this movie way back as well. Since Tom Cruise is in it, it's a rental.

BuddhaMan
07-01-2005, 03:42 PM
Agreed on the tom cruise sentiment, but these special effects need to be seen on the big screen I'm thinkin'.

This was a radio play, not story telling time with fake interviews, "on scene reporters", and one long dramatic pause in the middle where alot of people thought the station was knocked off the air.

Also, the only disclaimer was given at the beginning of the broadcast (as Reg said) so if you tuned in late, you couldn't tell reality from fiction.

Penguin
07-01-2005, 09:17 PM
I acctually like tom cruise, one of my favorite actors.

Deltron
07-02-2005, 02:10 AM
Nah, Tom Cruise has nothing on Johnny Depp. I've never seen an actor get so involved in his character. Best actor out there, in my opinion.

I really want to see this movie. I listened to the radio broadcast, and it was awesome. The voice actors were incredibly believable. And this movie is supposed to stick more closely to the book, which I also hear is good. Besides...Tom Cruise does rock, even if he's a crazy scientologist.

Pallidrone
07-02-2005, 12:11 PM
The original broadcast was awesome. It is tradition for me to replay it every Halloween at work.

MalorieKnoX
07-05-2005, 10:46 AM
If you dont see this on a theatre screen then you are missing out. Non-stop action ride. Great movie, some really horror-like scenes, not very Tom Cruisy. Go see it in the theatre on the biggest screen trust me :youdick:

BuddhaMan
07-05-2005, 11:56 AM
Yeah...I also thought the same thing when I was watching the movie...it was more suspensefull and scary than your average sci-fi flick like say..."Contact" for example. I jumped once and my wingchick did twice.

Sasha
07-05-2005, 12:02 PM
Hopefully this week we will go to the drive in to see in. War of the Worlds is being played with Batman returns for 6 bux a person. Although we did see Batman returns this weekend already , it rocked! I would love to see it again.

CDSaint
07-05-2005, 12:13 PM
did you tune out Katie? :P j/k. we ended up watching Batman this sunday too. i refused to sit through a tom cruise movie and since i was paying i got what i wanted. yay for me :D

B_G3ntl3
07-05-2005, 04:32 PM
lol batman returns? the one with val kilmer? or batman BEGINS?

CDSaint
07-05-2005, 04:35 PM
christian bale although has a lisp is the best batman

Deltron
07-06-2005, 12:46 AM
Word. I had previously loved Keaton. He rocked. And when I saw these previews, with the new batmobile and everything, I thought it was going to suck. So I went in there with a very closed mind. But it was amazing! Best Batman to date by far. It gets down to the roots of what Batman is suppsoed to be. And even if you don't like Batman, go see it. It is just a really great movie. I can't wait until the sequel.

CDSaint
07-06-2005, 10:44 AM
do you really think there will be a sequel to this one?:eek: i did enjoy this movie. id like to see who they use as the younger version of the joker. its almost like each batman from the past to the present have their own roles they portrayed. like micahel keaton was the comedic batman, whereas you have the new batman as the brooding one, and then Kilmer was the romantic one maybe? then of course there was the clooney/o'donnell pairing a whole category on its own. did i miss anyone?

Sasha
07-06-2005, 10:47 AM
I hope they do, I loved Bale as batman, but the first thing we need to do is kill off Rachel (Katie) and find him a new love intrest.

CDSaint
07-06-2005, 11:06 AM
i think that there shouldnt be any love interest at all on the next one. cause rachael really didnt have to be there in my opinion. there wasnt any romance between the two of them really. one kiss does not make a romance. hehe. sorry to hijack the thread btw. i guess batman just was a better movie.

Shadowbane
07-06-2005, 11:23 AM
as far as the sequal goes the entire cast has signed to do the sequal (except katie holmes WB kicked her to the curb because they feel all her publicity with Tom Cruise took away from the movie lol) and as for the younger villan the rumor right now is Crispen Glover but its not set in stone

Deltron
07-06-2005, 12:49 PM
I've heard Crispen Glover too. And I do hope they get rid of Holmes. Not that I don't think they could've turned that romance into something deeper by the sequel. Just that she didn't have what it takes. She doesn't have the whole look of the wild mistress love that Batman is supposed to have, such as Kidman. But, that was they only bad role placement. As for Joker, though I heard Crispen was on for it, I would've really liked to see Johnny Depp take the part. Carey was an awful Batman, not because of his acting, but because of how he portrayed the character. The Joker is supposed to be this dark genius, such as Nicholson (definitely the best Joker), but Carey's character was too eccentric. I think Depp would be able to bring that dark quality to the character because he gets so into characters when he takes their part. I think he would be perfect for that character.

Sui
07-06-2005, 12:55 PM
Carey was an awful Batman, not because of his acting, but because of how he portrayed the character.

?

FADES
07-06-2005, 01:16 PM
Freudian slip on Deltron's part I believe. Was talking about The Joker and accidentally typed Batman.

I have not seen either of these movies yet, but plan to see both asap. I definitely want to see WOTW on the big screen. And, other than here, I have heard many good things about Batman Begins.

CDSaint
07-06-2005, 01:27 PM
Jim Carey didnt play joker btw, he was the riddler :P and i think he meant Kilmer was a bad batman

CDSaint
07-06-2005, 01:31 PM
Crispen Glover is wacky enough to portray a young version of the joker. lol this is the same man that Letterman felt threatened by when he tried to do Karate moves in front of him and literally almost kick letterman's ass on live tv! needless to say he is permanently banned from ever going back to be a guess at any future shows. :\

Deltron
07-06-2005, 04:21 PM
Man, I just made a whole bunch of blunders in my post. Perhaps I should get it deleted before anyone else thinks I'm retarded.

Bluehen
07-06-2005, 04:31 PM
Man, I just made a whole bunch of blunders in my post. Perhaps I should get it deleted before anyone else thinks I'm retarded.

Too late, CD already thinks that. ;)

CDSaint
07-06-2005, 04:36 PM
lol i do not! henny you wanna be tarred and feathered today? LOL!

Bluehen
07-06-2005, 04:41 PM
Only if you promise it wont be on Tom Sawyer Island in between Fantasmic shows.

CDSaint
07-06-2005, 04:46 PM
rofl! ok i promise! but you know im gonna have to use sterilized gloves with the mickey mouse ears when i start with you right? :lol:

FADES
07-07-2005, 11:07 AM
Oh yeah! I forgot Carey was The Riddler. Oh well. I have never been a big fan of the Batman movies anyway. /me wonders why he is even posting here...oh yeah, War of the Worlds.:P

CDSaint
07-10-2005, 12:26 PM
if you already know the story its really not worth it to buy a ticket to see this movie, but if you feel that you are missing out, then by all means do yourself a favor and watch it during a matinee. it was very anti climactic. the ending was too abrupt and leaves you hanging there waiting for something else to happen.:\ batman begins was a much better movie