PDA

View Full Version : COD2 tidbits

Czechmate
08-08-2005, 06:44 PM
Here are a few more details on COD2. These are from Steve (the EIC at Computer Games Mag) and he beta tested it. I got additional information from Activision.

1) It's not as pretty as Battlefield 2, but it plays better. It essentially looks like a prettier COD.

2) The system requirements haven't been finalized. Expect around 1.5GHz processor, 512MB RAM, and a 64-128MB video card as a minimum. (In other words, double that to get kickass performance.)

3) I know a lot of you kids aren't single player fans, but for those that are, COD2 is being developed both for the PC and as an Xbox 360 release title. As it stands, there are save points, meaning you can't quick save anywhere you want. If this makes it into the PC version, I will bitch. Steve told them this as well. (I should get the review for the mag.)

4) The biggest difference Steve could see (and he's not a fanboy like most of us) is the use of smoke. Apparently, Infinity Ward's military advisors said that the original didn't have enough of it. Therefore, expect a lot more dust and shit floating around, both in single and multiplayer. I'm guessing there are going to be some fairly open areas where you'll need to use smoke for cover.

5) I just confirmed this with Activision (and don't shoot the messenger): COD2 is apparently *not* making the trip to QuakeCon this year. I wasn't given a good reason (the correct PR person was in a meeting, so I was talking with someone with second-hand knowledge of this), but he seemed fairly confident. Quake 4 and others will be there, but I'd be surprised if COD2 wasn't there at least behind closed doors.

~Czech

Bluehen
08-08-2005, 07:02 PM
If I recall right, I think 'Brothers in Arms' had the same deal with save points only - no quick saves - and people hated that factor of gameplay.

Hexum
08-08-2005, 07:20 PM
And I bet the first hack will be where your able to see through smoke I bet. :/

snipie
08-08-2005, 07:29 PM
Is this game going to be more like the orginal COD or like COD:UO and battlefield?

Artis
08-09-2005, 10:08 AM
i think snipee's question hits the nail on the head.

=DBA=Ronin
08-09-2005, 12:35 PM
from the trailer I saw that shanks posted it looks like a more refined version of UO...not quite so 'colorful' for lack of a better term, just more detailed. The video it was shown in was poor quality itself so it is hard to really tell. The gameplay looked intense though.

Czechmate
08-09-2005, 01:55 PM
I just talked with Steve. Apparently, the single-player game will feature a few vehicle-specific levels (just like the original and UO single-player games did). However, the multiplayer in COD2 does *not* have vehicles. In fact, it includes 4-5 maps from the original COD for multiplayer. Steve wasn't sure what maps they were (remember I said he wasn't a fanboy), but he said they used statistics from online tracking things to pick the maps to remake. That being said, I'd guess the maps will be Harbor, Carentan, Dawnville, Brecourt, and perhaps Chateau or POWCamp.

Steve was also surprised when I told him Activision told me that COD2 wouldn't make it to QuakeCon. Apparently, he had been indirectly told that it *would* in fact be there. I guess we'll find out in a few days.

~Czech

UPDATE: I just confirmed with Mike (the right PR person at Activision) that COD2 will *not* make an appearance. This is because of the deadlines (it's an Xbox 360 release title as well as a PC game). The executive producer on the game from Infinity Ward (Scott Miller if I remember right) will be there, but that's it. And yes, I asked, and no, console dorks will not be able to play against those of us with an actual mouse and keyboard online. The reasoning? "The gamepad can't compare to a mouse/keyboard setup." Well, duh... ;)

snipie
08-09-2005, 05:18 PM
I took a sigh of relief when you said COD2 wouldn't have vehicles.

BuddhaMan
08-09-2005, 07:49 PM
Yeah, but I heard that mp_ship is going to be one of the 5 being converted from CoD to CoD2. :D

shanKs
08-09-2005, 09:11 PM
I should slap you for saying that :whip:

snipie
08-09-2005, 09:18 PM
ROTFL!

FADES
08-10-2005, 08:32 AM
What is mp_ship, the CTF-andaction of CoD?

Bluehen
08-10-2005, 08:39 AM
worse

Sasha
08-10-2005, 11:18 AM
What is mp_ship, the CTF-andaction of CoD?

There is no comparison. At least andaction was fun for the first 3 minutes before you got bored. People HATE mp_ship.

BuddhaMan
08-10-2005, 03:29 PM
...and "hate" is being nice. :)

Personally, I'd say it's on the 'despise' list.

FADES
08-10-2005, 04:23 PM
Anyone got a screenie of it? I gotta see this. I have not played CoD.

Czechmate
08-10-2005, 08:09 PM
It's just a ship. It's sort of like Galleon from the original UT, but way too big and sniper friendly (and not fun). The inside areas are a maze of stupidity, with dorks camping around every turn. In single player, half of that map is cordoned off, which is great. In multiplayer, it's a laughable joke with no real strategies other than "sit and wait".

~Czech

BuddhaMan
08-10-2005, 09:21 PM
Lotsa screenies of it online:

http://images.google.com/images?q=mp_ship&hl=en&lr=&sa=N&tab=wi

FADES
08-11-2005, 08:42 AM
Yeah, I figured that's what it's like. I understand and see your point, Czech. Boooo!