PDA

View Full Version : No more crawling

Czechmate
08-18-2005, 06:23 PM
Finally! While I've reviewed a few Platinum Edition Creative sound cards in the past, I've never realized how damn useful the front panel is. The new drivers actually work (hoorah!) and now I don't have to crawl behind my computer to switch between my speakers and my headphones. And, I have a mic input volume knob right there, just in case I need to make ears bleed. ;)

~Czech

Hexum
08-18-2005, 08:36 PM
fatality edition? When are people gonna get off his dick? geez.

B_G3ntl3
08-18-2005, 08:46 PM
whatever, the more people get paid to play computer games the less of a nerd i am...or maybe im still a hopeless nerd cause I can't get a sponser...IM SO CONFLICTED!!!

BuddhaMan
08-18-2005, 09:37 PM
A breakout box or front control panel isn't a new concept...

B_G3ntl3
08-18-2005, 11:51 PM
i have a speaker and mic port in the front and back of my case...is that what your talking about?

Penguin
08-18-2005, 11:59 PM

for real...

BuddhaMan
08-19-2005, 01:31 AM
i have a speaker and mic port in the front and back of my case...is that what your talking about?
No, look at Czech's pic. His takes up a drive bay while mine is comepletely external. You can see mine in the pic below.

http://renttopwn.com/pics/cpl-summer-2005/IMG_0926.JPG

FADES
08-19-2005, 10:56 AM
When I look at that pic all I can smell is feet. I use the headphone jack on my speakers. I thought it would be mono, but it's not! I get full sound from it...right and left anyway.

Bluehen
08-19-2005, 11:01 AM
The platronics headphones I got have some sound card already in the device which rendered my Extigy useless.

Czechmate
08-19-2005, 06:55 PM
Some USB headsets (like the PLantronics DSP-500s) have a little sound processor right in the cord, but it's not a "real" sound card as it were. It's a little processor, to be sure, but it's actually just like on-board sound, which causes CPU cycle usage. They're great for laptops with crap built-in sound though. :)

And I know break-out boxes aren't anything new; it's just the first time I've bothered to hook one up and actually use it for what it's meant. Hell, the last time I used one from Creative (the only other break-out/stand-alone I can think of came from Hercules), the drivers were so overbearing that they rendered it impractical.

And, as for the "fatal1ty" edition, I actually talked to him about that at QuakeCon. He said there's no sponsorship or anything with any of that, and it is in fact a partnership. The guy is very well known for a good reason (he kicks some serious ass), and some companies take his input and ideas and try to design a product that is up to his specs. The idea, of course, is that the hardcore gamer will think, "Well, if Fatal1ty uses it, it must be good, because he's good!" It's mostly marketing crap, although in this sound card, the difference between this card and others is that it has on-board RAM and such, which was something he had suggested. Honestly, the guy is one of the most down-to-earth people I've met. As well known as he is, he takes it very well, even at 23 or 24 (his age).

~Czech

SealClubber
08-19-2005, 07:32 PM

FUCKING PREACH IT!

:0wn3d:

RuKuS
08-20-2005, 03:46 AM
I use the plantronics external switch.. its a switch that flips from headphones to speakers.. easiest thing ever. It's on my floor :feelmeh:

=DBA=Ronin
08-20-2005, 09:33 AM
Shanks and I rode the elevator at the Gaylord with fat and his entourage. I didn't know it was him until we had already "gotten off". It was special.

Cavi
08-21-2005, 09:47 PM
Shanks and I rode the elevator at the Gaylord with fat and his entourage. I didn't know it was him until we had already "gotten off". It was special.

was this before or after we harrassed teh subway wearing t-shirt n00bs of doom?

BuddhaMan
08-21-2005, 10:22 PM
wha?