PDA

View Full Version : Racing, Euro style

Czechmate
09-05-2005, 05:58 PM
There's something that Europe knows about arcade racing that America doesn't.

I've found another diamond in the rough in a game called FlatOut. It's all original tracks and original cars (although you can tell what the cars are modeled after). Much like Burnout 3, destruction is a big part of this game, but in a different way. Instead of destroying your opponents (which you can do), there is real-time damage applied based on how much crap you hit. And, let's just say that when the game promises destructible environments, they are not kidding. Nearly everything is destructible. And, in a fun twist, how much damage you manage to cause to yourself determines how much your nitro increases, not vice-versa.

Another fun part are the mini-games, which include using your drivers as a human bowling ball to fly into pins, launching him through a windshield for distance (no shit) and height (again, no shit), and more.

As with most European arcade racers, the graphics rock (think RalliSport Challenge, Colin McRae, the Burnout series, and so on). Instead of the bling-bling and guns-a-blazing track American arcade racers go for, the Euro games are more about racing as fast as you damn well can with plenty of destruction between point A and B.

I won't do my own review here, but here are some other opinions:

GameSpot:
http://www.gamespot.com/pc/driving/flatout/index.html?q=FlatOut

IGN:
http://pc.ign.com/articles/634/634273p1.html

And, there's a full-on demo here (sans the crazy ass mini-games):
http://www.vugames.com/file_list.do?gamePlatformId=1856

For what it's worth, I really like how it plays. It's getting positive reviews all over the place for a reason. I have the PC version, so if you're up for some online fun (and I'm looking at you Sui), let me know if you get it. :)

~Czech

BuddhaMan
09-05-2005, 08:33 PM
A guess a racing wheel is pretty much mandatory nowadays...or maybe a gamepad or whatever. Either way, the game sucks with a keyboard.

Graphics were decent and I could max everything and go full-widescreen with no slowdown.

=DBA=Ronin
09-05-2005, 08:35 PM
Im gonna try and find this. Id definately be up for some online racing...somethign I always liked to do but rarely find ppl who want to. My sis got me a BestBuy giftcard for my birthday...this sounds like a prime candidate to use it on...if they have it.

Czechmate
09-05-2005, 09:00 PM
Ya, you'll want a wheel or a pad. It's on both consoles on and the PC, so I've been using a pad, which works just fine. And, if you already have a console controller, you can get a converter that will make it work with your PC for like $10.

And yes, the keyboard controls do not do the game justice.

~Czech

Artis
09-06-2005, 09:06 AM
if i missed it, happy bday stevo.

FADES
09-07-2005, 01:11 PM
Cool. I was happy to see you giving the game a thumbs up, Czech. The review in Playboy was not a good one. I thought the game looked like fun from the commercials. I will have to pick this up. I am disappointed, however, that the keyboard controls aren't good. That is all I play driving games with. I will try it with keyboard, but may have to switch to the PS2 controller.:\

BuddhaMan
09-07-2005, 05:46 PM
Don't go by what I said about the keyboard controls. You may be able to play that way.

=DBA=Ronin
09-07-2005, 05:48 PM
Cool. I was happy to see you giving the game a thumbs up, Czech. The review in Playboy was not a good one. I thought the game looked like fun from the commercials. I will have to pick this up. I am disappointed, however, that the keyboard controls aren't good. That is all I play driving games with. I will try it with keyboard, but may have to switch to the PS2 controller.:\

So your the one who reads the articles in Playboy?

FADES
09-12-2005, 01:04 PM
WAAAAY after I have "used" the pictures.:D