PDA

View Full Version : A Day in the Life of Computer Support

Artis
09-21-2005, 04:26 PM
today:

1. browse the internet and read articles

2. get a call that a monitor has gone out. go take a look and the power cable is unplugged from the back.

3. user gets a password box when trying to open IE. user said about 10 days ago she was notified her password was about to expire. told her to restart and change her password as it had expired.

4. installed a usb smart card per the instructions provided from a particular website that required added authentication. followed the 8 line instructions provided and finished in approx. 2 minutes.

5. user did not know how to format a floppy disk. told how and demonstrated for added effect.

6. tried installing a new projector in a conference room but the ordered projector is the wrong size although the person who ordered it said it was the correct size and i was told by someone else that the bracket the projector sits on is adjustable. both people are above me on the totem pole. alas, they were both wrong and it will have to be returned.

i always say a monkey could do my job 2/3rds of the time but given the users i support maybe i should upgrade that to neanderthal.

EDIT: i forgot a few more things.

7. chat on xfire to anyone that looks to be online

8. email friends about anything and everything

9. read and post on btp cause it gives me something to do.

BuddhaMan
09-21-2005, 05:38 PM
answer phone -- get banana! :D

snipie
09-21-2005, 06:16 PM
That's what I want to be when I grow up!

Mozartt
09-21-2005, 07:58 PM
Is that what really happen to you today Artis? Because it reads like a really bad internet joke. :(

Artis
09-22-2005, 08:08 AM
nope, its not a joke. that was actually my day.

Artis
09-22-2005, 08:38 AM
oh and a banana sounds pretty good.

Bluehen
09-22-2005, 11:13 AM
It could have been worse - your boss could have come by because you forgot to include the cover sheet with your TPS report.

Artis
09-22-2005, 01:20 PM
indeed.

Stuffit
09-22-2005, 03:42 PM
AIG

Vyper
09-22-2005, 03:59 PM
Damn would've been nice if I'd had your tech job. :P

Mine read more like, realise this is phone support not desk,

1. Get to work, turn on PC.

2. Notice red queue - 10 plus users on hold for more than 5 mins. :P Its 1pm est. Realize its going to be a long assed day.

3. Log into system.

4. Put on headset, dreading first customer.

5. Engage call taking equipment. Talk to endless stream of customers who are unhappy because vendor supplier went out of business and new vendor has yet to tool up to provide replacement parts.

6. Repeat ad nausem til lunch.

7. Run out of building, find food, eat food in cemetary because its quiet!!!!

8. Drive back to work.

9. Pick up phone and repeat descent into hell!

10. Leave at midnite or sometime thereafter, depending on how fast I could get customers off phone.

11. Realize no bars are open cause its Sunday night.

12. Go home, scream at spouse. :P

I got to repeat this scene for over 4 months. Is it any wonder I don't do tech support anymore?

Bluehen
09-22-2005, 04:20 PM
11. Realize no bars are open cause its Sunday night.

This is why you hit the bar BEFORE you go to work on Sunday. It makes for much more interesting interaction with customers.

KereS
09-22-2005, 04:22 PM
LoL, My tech support experience was a mix between Artis and Vypers. I was in it for 2 years! I'll be a walmart greeter before I ever do tech support again :P

BuddhaMan
09-22-2005, 05:38 PM
let them eat cake!

Artis
09-22-2005, 05:44 PM
well i handle a lot of network stuff too but that day was all idiot tech support issue non-issue things.

Mozartt
09-22-2005, 06:48 PM
LOL Vyper I love number seven, there is something to say about the dead. :D

Artis...are you working for a small company where you have to do network, server and pc support? If that's the case you need a new job.

BuddhaMan
09-22-2005, 07:17 PM
He works for the city gubment!

Bluehen
09-22-2005, 07:24 PM
There is no cheese like gubment cheese!

Vyper
09-22-2005, 09:44 PM
Yeah I had a friend who got an art degree. She ate alot of gov't cheese since she was self supporting in college. No money from 'rents at all. :P

Glad to know Keres didn't have quite my experiences in tech support. We were a select crew who experienced hell. Not suprisingly most of my closest buddies from work at that time are still friends. LOL

Addendum to Vypers Hell: NO INTERNET ACCESS!!

Artis
09-30-2005, 09:39 AM
work sucks ass.

i do all kinds of crap at my job. we have a network admin but he mainly just implements new stuff and does backups, etc. i maintain most things on the network and all computers, etc.

its incredibly boring.

for instance this morning a user called and was freaking out because "all these pop-ups keep opening up when i go into my program". i immediately suspected that she had highlighted a bunch of icons and they all opened rather than her actually having pop-ups related to the internet. this had happened before. so i remote into her machine and wouldnt ya know it, she is just an idiot and keeps highlighting icons somehow. i opened the program and closed it 4 times without a problem and she said, "what did you fix?" my gawd woman.

Stuffit
09-30-2005, 10:19 AM
hahahaha

Stuffit
09-30-2005, 10:19 AM
don't be such a hater Arty!

Artis
09-30-2005, 10:39 AM
eat a dick :)

BuddhaMan
09-30-2005, 02:06 PM
This is just the beginning of your transfomation to the darkside, Darth Artis.