PDA

View Full Version : COD2 SP Demo

Hexum
09-26-2005, 03:40 PM
Will be out around 5 pm central today.

BuddhaMan
09-26-2005, 04:10 PM
Werd. I'll try to snag it and mirror it for us. We'll see how that goes...

Sasha
09-26-2005, 04:12 PM
oh so thats what you will be doing tonight? LOL

twc.eX
09-26-2005, 04:15 PM
I'm sure there'll be the "Pre" party in his pants too.

Bluehen
09-26-2005, 04:16 PM
I think I just wet myself.

Bluehen
09-26-2005, 04:49 PM
Any news yet on this?

BuddhaMan
09-26-2005, 05:00 PM
Snaggin' it here (671 MB) Plenty of download spots open ATM...

http://browse.files.filefront.com/Call_Of_Duty_2_Official_Demos/;1413175;/browsefiles.html

BuddhaMan
09-26-2005, 07:15 PM
I'm uploading it to my server now (Shanks said the link I posted was slammed). In the meantime, I grabbed some screenies to show off what it looks like on my box with alot of the eye candy turned on and at my native widescreen resolution of 1680x1050 (16:10). I'm not going to attach them, just link to them so you can see them at the size of my screen (range in size from 295kB to 493kB)

http://renttopwn.com/cod2/shot0000.jpg
http://renttopwn.com/cod2/shot0001.jpg
http://renttopwn.com/cod2/shot0002.jpg
http://renttopwn.com/cod2/shot0003.jpg
http://renttopwn.com/cod2/shot0004.jpg

Ir's been a while since I played CoD:UO, but this "feels" a little better than that. Maybe it's because I'm playing in widescreen and I'm a better player now (somewhat). The default weapon you're given is sorta like the Thompson, but I like the way it fires better. I haven't used more than that gun yet cause it looks like you can only carry one (you have to drop your waep to pick up a new one) or maybe I already had a second gun in the "2" slot...I never tried it.

I don't like the way a grenade get thrown as soon as I select them. Maybe I have to hold down the trigger to 'cook' them a little and then aim it.

At the current rate of upload, if I have no problems, it'll be done around 10pm central.

=DBA=Ronin
09-26-2005, 07:41 PM
Its kinda like a thompson because it is a thompson!! Since I spawned with a Thompson I got all excited cuz aside from that I also spawned with a single shot bolt action lee-enfield. Then I was confused cuz I spawned with a bunch of brits so Im not sure if I was an american with the lee and a thompson or what. Guess time will tell.

So far so good. It has a bit of UO ness to it but plays a lot better than UO. I wish you could toggle the nades with the rest of the weapons cuz now I have even more keys to bind. There is also a "steady rifle" bind but have yet to really need/use it as there is no scope in the demo. Cleary they got a lot of complaints about the phantom nades cuz now there is an icon with a directional arrow whenever one is thrown by you, which is a big help. I did manage to pick up a bren and it shoots a lot nicer...not nearly as much kick back...maybe a sign of things to come for the bar?

Can't wait to see more!

BuddhaMan
09-26-2005, 07:47 PM
Wow! That was fast! I'm done with the demo already. It definately gives you a good taste of the game and makes you want to buy it. If the game plays slow for you, time to upgrade something...the minimum sys specs are getting higher and higher.

Yeah Ronin...I managed to read the name next to the weapon in the lower right and saw "Thompson". :p the bolt action is a Lee-Enfield and it shoots much nicer than in CoD vanilla. I didn't look for a Bren...guess I need to play the demo a few times and pick up the various weaps to try them out. I like the helmet flying in the air letting you know you got headshot on a baddie (looks a lot like that one mod).

The 'nade indicator works fkn great I must say...saved my ass a few times when I was standing right on top of a 'nade.

Bluehen
09-26-2005, 07:51 PM
/me counts the time down

B_G3ntl3
09-26-2005, 10:42 PM
thanks for the link buddha

KereS
09-27-2005, 01:38 AM
Well, I loved every second of the short demo, I shot the 40, the bren (which I love!) and the rifle oh and the thompson! I cant wait for the full version :D Dosnt feel like UO at all to me <3

BuddhaMan
09-27-2005, 01:40 AM
I fell asleep. Here's the file on my server if someone still needs it.

http://renttopwn.com/cod2/cod2demo.exe

I played it again and never saw the Bren. Any tips on which scene you can find it in?

Artis
09-27-2005, 09:28 AM
your link may get hammered there buddha. just FYI if your webhost cares about bandwidth usage. i d/led it last night off of bittorrent.

i am moving tomorrow since my apt. complex has turned into gangland but maybe ill get to play it this weekend or something.

twc.eX
09-27-2005, 10:24 AM
I liked the demo, I thought that it played a lot smoother than Vanilla and it had a nice mix of Vanilla and UO.

I never did try to cook nades.. so I don't know about that. But I don't think it has that ability.

Anyone else notice how the Kar fires slower in this game? I kind of like that, it makes it evens the playing field. The Thompson is still as nice as always. I did like the grenade indicator as you said.. it's very helpful.

Funny.. no mention of the health system? I kind of liked it.. it's different, I'm kind of glad there is no more health bar.

shanKs
09-27-2005, 11:20 AM
well there is a health bar but it doesn't show out of the box. You have to activate it in console something like cg_drawhealth 1. I don't know how framerates are going to be for MP I was getting 30 or so in SP mode.

Bluehen
09-27-2005, 11:33 AM
Played a bit this morning before work and I certainly liked it as well. Played pretty smooth for me after working a bit with the settings. I liked the new ADS with the tommy and the Germans certainly toss more grenades in the SP. I will be getting this on day one of delivery.

B_G3ntl3
09-27-2005, 11:50 AM
I played it this morning....there seems to be a lot more kick to the guns...both the bren and the tommy pulled more than in cod. I miss not having a pistol also. The game played smooothly...but i dont like how they messed with the kar...that was my favorite rifle, but if they made the enfield worth a damn its a fair trade

twc.eX
09-27-2005, 12:21 PM
What about the new kar don't you like?

=DBA=Ronin
09-27-2005, 12:30 PM
buddha, i picked up the bren about half way through. There is a part where you storm along the beach front with a number of mg's firing at you. Once you clear the mg's, you move up to a brick wall where there is a hole in the middle for entrance. I believe after you get past the wall there is a small foyer and then you go upstairs to the balcony to switch out the radio. You then come back down stairs after that and back out to the foyer. It was there that I had picked up the bren next to a crate. Not sure if it was dropped by someone else or was just sitting there.

Hexum
09-27-2005, 12:30 PM
First, how do you pull the console down? I played it a couple times last night on the low settings with Directx 7 and it runs smooth for me. I didn't check fps since I couldn't get the console down. One thing I don't like right now, but it could help in mp is having a seperate key for nades. Not sure if I dig having hit yet another key for something. Overall I think it is nice so far.

I used the kar, the enfield, thompson, bren and the mp40. If you hate the mp40 in cod, you should like it now. It has a totally different feel, at least to me. The grenade indicator is awesome.

shanKs
09-27-2005, 12:32 PM
you have to enable the console in settings - it's just a yes or no option.

B_G3ntl3
09-27-2005, 12:57 PM
I didnt like the sites on it, and i got the feeling that it was less powerful...i dunno it just didnt feel like a normal kar. I dunno how wild i am for diff buttons for nades...especially if i have to hit a diff button for each type of nade.

also buddha, I got a bren early on, i think in like the second stage...just watch your teamates and when one of them with a bren dies....pick it up.

one feature that i would really like to see how it works is the calming sniper thing....i had it set up where if i het melee while scoped in, it would have a calming effect or something...that sounds kind of cool

Cavi
09-27-2005, 04:08 PM
The sire on the Kar is actually the real site that was used on it... the slim metal piece going over op was actually there on the real guns (my gf's dad has 2 of them, they are badass... and they all have sites like the Kar's in this demo).

Also, if you need more FPS (people with lower end systems have been having this problem), simply change the DirectX 9 setting to DirectX 7.

twc.eX
09-27-2005, 04:09 PM
Quit bragging Cavi.. Geez..

Ya Mangina.

Cavi
09-27-2005, 04:10 PM
Quit bragging Cavi.. Geez..

Ya Mangina.

When did I become involved in teh mangina thing? I personally would rather not even know Brack... :P

Artis
09-27-2005, 04:33 PM
tone it down in here.

BuddhaMan
09-27-2005, 05:26 PM
Thanx for the bren tips. I was playing last night and didn't think to look at my teammates to see if they had one then grab it when they died. I find myself trying hard to kill Germans more than find the new weaps...lol. I did try the mp40, but only shot a few rounds outta it at a wall or the ground to get the feel of it...I gotta pick one up and try to play thru the game with it to see how it goes.

What's with the health system? I took what seemed like a lot of damage but never died (having it on 'noob' or 'greenghorn' or whateva it's called probably helps.)

Hex: as said eatrlier, the console is just a yes/no option in the menus somewhere...you've probably got that sorted by now I 'spose....

Artis, I didn't get slammed as you said. Only 4 peeps have downloaded it so far. I have a professional webserver in Atlanta with 50 or 100 GB/month traffic allowed and some fat bandwidth (3 MB or 28 megabit...enough for 6 people with cablemodems/dsl to download simutaniously at their max speed probably). I don't even come close to using all that so I thought I'd share and get my money's worth for once. I've been thinking of hosting some "ahem" other stuff there (reference your sticky thread in the w4r private area) as I've found a sweet web frontend for file storage. If I ever get it setup I'll give ya a holla.

Bluehen
09-27-2005, 05:40 PM
Looks like only a direct headshot, or grenade, will kill you instantly. Body shots can get you close and you can hear yourself breathing and stuff, but if you take cover and wait a bit then your health regenerates - hence no health packs around. I want to play a bit more tonight to take a closer look at that.

B_G3ntl3
09-27-2005, 06:14 PM
i dont think it has to do with the difficulty settings...i played on the highest difficulty setting, and for a while i thought i couldnt die because it was a demo

Hexum
09-27-2005, 08:35 PM
I am getting around around 35 fps on the Directx 9 with setting all on low, 55-65 on Directx 7 will all low. Runs smooth on the 7, lags here and there on the 9.

Sasha
09-27-2005, 08:35 PM
I liked it, so far I really enjoy the Egyptian Campaign idea. Its refreshing to see something new and I like the new sites on the Kar and Enfeild so far. I think it makes it tons easier to get a head shot with.

Cavi
09-27-2005, 08:41 PM
Looks like only a direct headshot, or grenade, will kill you instantly. Body shots can get you close and you can hear yourself breathing and stuff, but if you take cover and wait a bit then your health regenerates - hence no health packs around. I want to play a bit more tonight to take a closer look at that.

I'm sure that is just for Demo purposes.

But there is a command for turning on the health bar if you really need one.

BuddhaMan
09-27-2005, 10:08 PM
I'm not diggin' the tan uniforms on tan sand...makes the baddies hard to see. I guess that's why they call it 'camoflague'. :/

Sasha
09-27-2005, 10:17 PM
yep yep and that could be why I kept getting warned that friendly fire was not tolerated lol. ( of course thats nothing too new)

Bluehen
09-27-2005, 10:25 PM
lol - I just like it when the British troops call the Germans 'wankers'.

BuddhaMan
09-27-2005, 11:28 PM
Ok..found the Bren and went to town...I loved it! Feels like there's less kick...dunno.

MP40 felt good too...they definately improved that POS from CoD vanilla. MP40 vs Thompson might be a more even firefight now.

Cavi
09-28-2005, 08:44 AM
Actually, I don't like the bren anymore. I feel more comfortable now with a rifle, until of course i get used to the tap sequence on the autos.

and Buddha, im colorblind, i have this problem with almost every game :D

Bluehen
09-28-2005, 09:25 AM
While I like the kar, Brothers in Arms had the Gewahr 43 in the German arsenal. That'd be a fun one if cod2 had it to counter the m1 for a good stopping power in a semi-auto.

=DBA=Ronin
09-28-2005, 12:26 PM
While I like the kar, Brothers in Arms had the Gewahr 43 in the German arsenal. That'd be a fun one if cod2 had it to counter the m1 for a good stopping power in a semi-auto.

They have the Gewhar in UO as well...wouldnt be too suprised if they put it in this as well. Lot of people seemed to like it. Its more or less the german equivilant to the Garand.

Stuffit
09-28-2005, 01:16 PM
I like Bosco!

CoD2 was fun too

Stuffit
09-28-2005, 01:17 PM
I did expect better graphics, seems to be just about the same as Cod

twc.eX
09-28-2005, 01:39 PM
The same as CoD?

Were you playing the same game?

Hexum
09-28-2005, 02:35 PM
Well Stuffy, if you notice the settings don't go too high. I am sure they left alot out on this demo so people will see the real deal in the retail. Every online game I have played has been on low settings, so missing all the eye candy is nothing new to me.

B_G3ntl3
09-28-2005, 02:49 PM
eye candy rots the retnas

BuddhaMan
09-28-2005, 05:08 PM
I rinse my eyes after gameplay with that new Crest stuff that has no alcohol in it.

I thought the graphics were better and having native widescreen formats supported rocks too.