PDA

View Full Version : Quirky ways to save money

CDSaint
12-06-2006, 10:06 PM
i was watching miami ink the other night and this guy was telling his story of why he lived like a hobo and how he was able to save for his son's college fund and how he saved to get his wife's engagement ring and how he became a home owner. Ive never seen a guy go to such extremes to save money for his future. I was wondering what you folks might do to save some extra cash here and there. This guy had some really good ideas and im going to implement his cashing in on recycleables. Here at home when the trash gets picked up so does the recycleables. This man was able to save 11,000 in 4 years selling back his aluminum. Screw the county, ill take the cans here and water bottle containers to the recycling facilities myself and save the money to earn interest in my mm acct. This month alone i earned 14.40. That is damn good. I should have just put all my eggs in that basket so to speak. Cause three other accounts arent budging too much atm. Anybody else care to share your saving ideas?

BuddhaMan
12-07-2006, 03:05 AM
Gotta drink a lot of soda or beer to have a lot of aluminum available to recycle. Why not cut out beer/soda and then save that money up. It'll add up a lot quicker.

Mozartt
12-07-2006, 05:45 AM
LOL You want a list????

* Stop eating out and cook dinner at home.
* Buy food on sale and freeze it, go shopping once a week
* Get rid of all credit cards you not require to pay off every month. American Express is okay because on the green ones you can carry a balance but you can earn reward points.
* Wait a few weeks before you spend a lot of money on something, you may find out that you really don't need it.
* Turn down the temperture in your house.
* Turn off the lighs.

I'm sure there are more out there but these are the few I follow, if you really want to save money you always can. LOL And good communcation with the spouse is always a good thing to. :)

CDSaint
12-07-2006, 01:08 PM
i dont drink beer, the hubby does on the weekends. that is where the cans come from as well as the canned foods(soups,etc.). plastics are from the milk containers and we go through a lot of those quite a bit. I save between 20 to 30 dollars in change that i put into the mm account at the end of the month. we barely go out to dinner unless its an anniversary or bday gift to each other. I shop for the month for groceries at a commissary on base that doesnt charge taxes. We dont have many cc. Just three that have balances on it that should be paid off in jan. my impluse buys are done at the thrift stores. ;) house temp is at 68 degrees all day and night. I make the kids wear warm clothes and we have heavy blankets for everyone to keep warm at night. being a migraine sufferer im often in the dark during the day. being diabetic i cant afford to drink anymore soda, but i do have a penchant for buying bottled water cause i dont like the taste or trust the water in this town. so that is my costly vice for the household.

BuddhaMan
12-07-2006, 01:16 PM
Then you could save $$ with a PUR water filter that attaches straight to the kitchen sink tap. I have one and they rock.

CDSaint
12-07-2006, 01:24 PM
oh and btw since i forgot to mention it in my first post...that guy didnt just use his saved cans and other recycleables, he went out and about and found them or dug them out of public trash, etc. he basicly was resourceful and made what others took for granted useful to provide for his needs. i might ask my neighbor if we can have their aluminum and that is the extent of where i would go to get extra cash.

CDSaint
12-07-2006, 01:29 PM
dont you work anymore B? lol yeah id have to look into that. but i like the idea of just tossing the container in the bin and not have to worry about having to wash a glass after im done, plus i like to be able to carry my water anywhere i go. i have a case of that in my trunk usually. lol my car sometimes get littered with empty bottled water in the passenger side. goes well with junk mail. and we use the junk mail to help start the fire in the fireplace. another reason why we hardly turn on the heater in the winter. its cheaper that way especially if only use it two to three times a week. We stock pile wood in a shed. Plus our neighbor's tree fell partly into their roof and they had it cut down. we got a ton of wood at no charge that is helping keep the costs down.