PDA

View Full Version : New Maps Not Release with UT2003

Mozartt
10-08-2002, 07:00 PM
I found two maps that were not release with the final UT2003, one is CTF-LavaGiant][....

http://www.ut2003hq.com/pafiledb/uploads/lavagiant.jpg

http://www.ut2003hq.com/pafiledb/pafiledb.php?action=file&id=104

and BR-Electric Fields...

http://www.ut2003hq.com/~hqstaff/elecfields_ss.jpg

http://www.ut2003hq.com/pafiledb/pafiledb.php?action=file&id=107

They were both in the hot copy that somehow got released on the internet. Not sure why they left them both out but they both rock!!!

Ravage[CS]
10-08-2002, 09:25 PM
ive just been :0wn3d: Lavagiant always rocked my box, and any new BR maps are fine with me! :D

(except the IceFields level, that maps fscking SUCKS in instagib)

Mozartt
10-09-2002, 07:08 AM
How do you even play BR with Instagib? I was playing last night and it sucked on open maps. Spend twenty mintues and didn't even get the damn ball close to the building much less the goal.

Ravage[CS]
10-09-2002, 01:31 PM
most levels aren't too bad, altho admiddenly in instagib it's much harder to score in BR. more often than not you're actually better off not trying to clear a crowded room and instead just settle for trying to land a field goal before you die. but, many maps are possible with good teamwork. the only map i can't stand in insta in the IceFields level, the bases are impossible to penetrate on the ground floor, just getting the ball to the other side is impossible unless you dump and run all the time, and even making it on top of the base which is the only good way to make it in is too damn hard. plus, even if you DO, you still have to drop into the goal room and successfully get points somehow. I played a game in that level 2 nights ago that went the full 30mins and then into overtime because it was 0-0. it was almost a full hour before the other team finally scored, and by that point i just wanted the stupid level to be over hehe.

i sincerely hope every insta BR ladder disallows that map in rotation.

edit: oh, the other large map, BiFrost i think it's called, is fine as long as it's low-grav. normal weight tho and it's severely difficult as well.

Mozartt
10-09-2002, 01:37 PM
Low Grav Instagib BR??? Is there a ladder for this yet? I can see that being better than reg grav, much harder to hit some when you have to deal with 3d instead of 2d.

Ravage[CS]
10-09-2002, 08:32 PM
it makes the open-area BR maps much more tolerable, but i can't stand lowgrav in the smaller maps.

Ravage[CS]
10-10-2002, 11:25 AM
Impressions: BR-ElectricFields is quite fun, altho on Instagib it's quite a pain because it's almost entirely wide open. I don't see this map ever being possible on a zoom-insta server :) It also showcases the rain in UT2K3, which was decent enough looking at first for me when i could see the raindrop splashes and hear the sound of it, but when i cranked my world detail to full you can see the drops themselves falling. Looks daaaaaaaamn sweet :)

CTF-LavaGiant][ is decent, the middle mountain has been quite redone with small interior sections done up with metal stairs and walls instead of just "here's a rock ramp" like in the original. The lava effects are decent, i like the jumping flames coming out of the pools in the middle of the level. Still, the bases themselves don't offer much in the way of inspiration and I just didn't overly like them in general. I think this MAY find it's way into ladder rotation after someone picks it up and tweaks out a few things with it.

Like i said, neither map is finished and you can tell, the zoning is off (each level has one zone, which is the name of the level), the goals in ElectricFields don't even have the swirl effect in the middle of them, just hoops. And the lighting in LavaGiant seems like it could use some work in a few minor places.

Still, I have to say these maps are worth the download. Thx for linking them Moz :) I hope some servers will run them

TinMan[CS]
10-10-2002, 09:40 PM
It's important to keep in mind that neither of these maps were ever completed for release. The rogue UT2K3 beta builds that floated around the net only contained low res texture sets. That may be why they look incomplete. My guess is that there may be a few people trying to create some interest in the community. Both Epic and DE claim to be creating bonus packs in addition to the patch that is currently in the works. We may get the opportunity to see these maps in their respective glory yet.

Mozartt
10-11-2002, 06:48 AM
That would be sweet to see both of these maps released by Epic. I love the direction they were going for in the new Lava Giant and let's face it, the rain effect really kicks ass. I could almost feel them hitting my face. :cool:

Ravage[CS]
10-11-2002, 08:11 AM
yah tin, i know they're from the beta. i was just pointing out details in the maps where it was apparent :)

the rain totally rocks. Like, it would be one thing if they had rain and also had an animated texture showing random splashes, but you can see that the drops actually hit the point of splash. nice to see they didnt just throw the two together as seperate entities and actually made them line up for that extra attention to detail. :cool: