PDA

View Full Version : lockup help

Viper|v2.0
10-13-2002, 08:08 AM
i've learned alot from my radeon trubles, and now i think i solved them for good. first thing i did was underclock my videocards cpu to match that of my momery clock. then i flashed my bios install directx 8.1b and updated my agp driver for mt motherboard. after that i read some artical somewhere that tells about how much power highend cards can eatup.

i found out that a simple radeon 8500 requires a min of 300-350 watt powersuply and a geforce4 ti4600 needs 350 or greater watt powersupply. and they were unsure about new radeon 9700pro, but people say it uses more than a agp slot for power and that it needs to be hooked up to a harddrive power connecter. they aslo talked about how some motherboards can deliver enought power to the agp port so that it can provide power for the videocard.

i had to tell mt real life friend about this artical cause he was having some very serious video problems. he couldn't even stay in his windows desttop for longer than 10 minutes, so i told him to download powerstrip pro and seriousley underclock his card. he went ahead and clockit from 325/325 down to 250/250 and after he rebooted the pc everything was fine for hours. i told him that he should upgrade his powrsuply to a 450-533 watt, cause he had a p4 2.3ghz and 533fbs plus 2 harddrive and a dvd/cdrw. the thing is he only had a 350 watt powersupply.

here what u should try doing if u r having randum lockup problems

find what kinda motherboard u got and download the latest agp drivers, like VIA 4in1 or SiS drivers.

install the lasted driver for your videocard and flash your dios.

after thats done and your still getting the same problems u should try underclocking your videocard untill u can think of what the problem is. so like if your videocard is at 300/300 then just clock it down to 275/275 or something. but if u noticed that one of the clocks is higher than the other try to sync then to where that the same.

here another thing that may not make a diff but alot of people one forums say that it helps. u can just turn your agp rate down, there r many was this could be done in bios/disply control panel/tweak program and regedit.

Mozartt
10-13-2002, 12:29 PM
Where did you find out the power supply requirements for the different cards yet? I have a 300 watt power supply and I may need to ask for a 400 watt power supply for Christmas.