Thread: Some cool LOTR info

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post

Some cool LOTR info

New Line will release an extended version of The Lord of the Rings: The Fellowship of the Ring on video five weeks before the sequel, The Two Towers, hits theaters on Dec. 18, Variety reported. The extended version on VHS and DVD will include more than 30 minutes of extra footage that likely will generate an R rating, the trade paper reported.

A four-disc DVD version of the extended edition also will include more than six hours of supplemental material, Varierty reported.

A PG-13 version of the three-hour movie will be available Aug. 6, and the DVD of that version will include a 10-minute behind-the-scenes preview teaser of Two Towers as part of two hours of supplemental material on a double-disc set, the trade paper reported.

Here is some details about whats on it....The most IMPORTANT info..DON'T buy it when it comes out in August..WAIT until the better version in November.
    -----------------------------------------------------------------------------
    March 26, 2002 - New Line Cinema just announced the full specs and release date for The Lord of the Rings: The Fellowship of the Ring on DVD. The DVD will street on August 6 for a MSRP of $29.99 and will hold the following features in a two-disc set:

Three behind-the-scenes featurettes:
    -"Welcome to Middle-earth" (an in-store special shown by Houghton Mifflin).
    -"The Quest for the Ring" INSERT INTO `post` (`postid`, `threadid`, `username`, `userid`, `title`, `dateline`, `attachmentid`, `pagetext`, `allowsmilie`, `showsignature`, `ipaddress`, `iconid`, `visible`, `edituserid`, `editdate`) VALUES (30-minute special originally shown on the FOX Network).
    -"A Passage to Middle-earth" INSERT INTO `post` (`postid`, `threadid`, `username`, `userid`, `title`, `dateline`, `attachmentid`, `pagetext`, `allowsmilie`, `showsignature`, `ipaddress`, `iconid`, `visible`, `edituserid`, `editdate`) VALUES (60-minute special originally shown on the SCI-FI Channel).

15 featurettes originally created for lordoftherings.net. These take you deep inside Middle Earth and include interviews with cast members Elijah Wood, Ian McKellen, Viggo Mortensen, Liv Tyler as well as members of the crew. Each one originally was shown as a streaming video or a quicktime file, so now you have them in the form of high-quality video.

Exclusive 10-minute behind-the-scenes preview of the next The Lord of the Rings theatrical release, The Two Towers.

Enya's "May It Be" music video.

An inside look at the Special Extended DVD Edition of The Lord of the Rings: The Fellowship of the Ring that streets on November 12, 2002.

Preview of Electronic Arts' video game, The Two Towers.

3D Animated Menus (see below).

DVD ROM Features that lead you to exclusive online content.

For you tech heads, you'll have an anamorphic 2.35:1 transfer on the widescreen edition and Dolby Digital EX audio on both versions (sorry DTS fans).

Releasing November 12, the 4-disc Special Extended Edition contains an additional 30 minutes of the film not seen in the theatrical version.

Some of the additional scenes include:

More time with the Hobbits including a musical number. Extra scene further underscores the Hobbits sense of isolation and the growing realization that they can't ignore the outside world for much longer.

Frodo and Sam POV watching the elves going to the "Undying Land".

When the Hobbits are sleeping, Frodo is awakened by Aragorn's signing of an elvish tune that foreshadow's his relationship with Arwen.

More at Rivendell with Aragorn.

More on the departure of the Fellowship from Rivendel.

More in the Mines before the cave troll fight.

Gifting scene ... as the Fellowship leaves, Galadriel gives them each a personalized gift that will end up being critical to their future. Legolas gets a special bow, Sam gets some elvin rope that comes in handy when he faces a giant spider in The Two Towers, and a touching moment between Gimli and Galadriel.

The extended edition will likely receive an "R"-rating , not due to excessive gore but about 30 seconds of extra violence in the Battle of Amon Hen.

Two discs contain the film and the remaining two discs add up to more than six hours of additional content. Among the content will be Peter Jackson's commentary. More details to come on the exact nature of the extras content as New Line is still finalizing the details. Also, as far as we know the four-disc set only includes the "Extended Cut". That means if you want both the theatrical version and the extended, you'll need to buy both DVDs.

Finally, there is an awesome Collector's DVD Gift Set also streeting on November 12 that looks amazing. It is a huge, gorgeous box designed by the legendary Alan Lee. The gift set contains the 4-disc version, two bookend statuettes by sculptor Sideshow Weta, the National Geographic "Beyond The Movie" DVD, and several collectible Decipher game cards. No word on price as of this writing. We'll update as we receive the info.

But just so you people know, the THEATRICAL release of the film won't be availble in the 4 disc set, only the extended version. While with the august DVD release you get both versions.

SWEET. Another DVD buff. YAY for Crazie!!

WHere the heck do you work Crazie...

At Blockbuster? THat is the most info I never saw for a DVD movie release.

Kudo man

INFO: Theatrical version does it it mean widescreen?

Theatrical verison means...what you saw in the theater.

Extended version means...what the director add to the movie.
    MY WISHLIST
    My DVDs.<------NOW NEW AND IMPROVED!!! -Feb 14th 2006

December 16, 2002
    R.I.P. My heart

And Jyrann is wrong...the extended is the only one on the August release as he said, but ONLY the theatrical one is on the single disc DVD.

Here's what my source says:

(UPDATE - 3/27/02 - 11:45 AM PST)

We're getting a lot of e-mails from readers asking if the special features set to be included on the theatrical edition of The Fellowship of the Ring (due on 8/6) will be repeated on the special extended version (following on 11/12). The answer is no. The documentaries and web featurettes are being included on the theatrical edition because a lot of fans have requested them. But since the special extended version includes an entirely new cut of the film, everything that will be included on that later edition is being custom created specifically for that release, for a more adult audience and to go MUCH deeper into the making of the film trilogy than what was seen in any of the TV specials. The idea is that most DVD consumers will be satisfied with the theatrical edition, while more sophisticated fans will wait for the extended edition. The most diehard fans will probably want both, as they perfectly complement each other but do not overlap.

Also, just to clarify, each DVD version includes a SEPARATE edit of the film. The 4-disc special extended set DOES NOT include the theatrical cut of the film on a separate disc or via seamless branching. If you want the theatrical cut, you have to buy the August 2-disc set. If you want the longer cut, you buy the November 4-disc edition. If you want both, save your money accordingly and buy both. Some people may feel that this is an effort to milk consumers, but I don't think so at all. In order to include everything you'll be getting on both editions, New Line would have to create a single 6-disc release, which would be WAY too expensive for most consumers to even consider. This way, they can have DVD purchase options for everyone. And by not having any overlap between the two editions, fans who buy both are absolutely getting the most for their money. Just think... over eight hours of unique special edition material alone on these two releases, not including the films themselves! If you're a fan, I say don't look a gift horse in the mouth!
    MY WISHLIST

December 16, 2002
    R.I.P. My heart

Well I kinda guess the Extended one...

Only beleived thaqt Thetrical meant something else.

So we all should wait until Nov 18 to get it.

I can be patient, but I don't think the wife and kids can

Any format will be better than when I saw it in the theatre. We were seating on the 1st freaking row . Couldn't see shit when there was fast paced action. It was all like a big bluuuurrrrr

Yeah, I'll be waiting for the 4 disc set also. Lot of people that I talk to on DVD boards are saying they are gonna wait for the box set. But fuck that. I can't wait that long.
    MY WISHLIST

December 16, 2002
    R.I.P. My heart

Great an extended version...I love my dvd player and all the shit you can do but all those extra cds and things that I will prob never look at just means that I have to spend 60$ instead of 25..BASTARDS!!! Ohh well I'll still buy it